From: Alexander Shenkin on
Hi Folks,

My machine is unable to hibernate: when I try, it cranks the HDD for
10-15 seconds, beeps, and then brings me to the login screen (it's as if
i've just locked my screen).

If I assign a drive letter to the win 7 hidden partition, hibernation
works again. I can un-assign the drive letter in the same session, and
hibernation still works. Upon reboot however, hibernation returns to
its broken state. If this issue is a symptom of a basic problem
somewhere, there might be other symptoms as well: bcdedit doesn't find
the bcd store unless I assign a drive letter to the hidden partition.
And my machine sometimes fails to assign drive letters to some USB
drives, but that might stem from a different problem.

Any idea what might be happening here, and how to fix it?

I suspect it might have something to do with active partitions (my
hidden partition is marked as active), but that doesn't quite seem to
jibe. Folks who dual boot seem to run into some similar issues at times
- when the other OS partitions are marked as active, hibernate seems to
break in a very similiar way.

I have tried the following, none of which have helped: ran sfc /scannow;
booted into clean boot mode (MS services only, no startup progs); ran a
Startup Repair; ran chkdsk; reverted all services to their default
install state; reinstalled video, network and chipset drivers. I have
no USB devices. All network devices have their Wake option disabled.
Hybrid sleep mode is disabled. I can sleep my system with no problems.
No system restore point is available from before the problem cropped
up. Microsoft support is not available to me as this is an MSDNAA
install of windows.

Ideas are very welcome! I would love to lick this problem without
screwing up my system with a repair install.

thanks,

alex

Win 7 Pro x64
Thinkpad T400 2764-CTO