From: Bobby Johnson on
This is something that should be taken to Lenovo Technical Support. I
have two laptops and neither of them have problems hibernating with
Windows 7; one is 32-bit and one is 64-bit - An Asus and a Dell with no
drive letter assigned to the System Reserved partition on either of them.

From: Alexander Shenkin on
On 8/11/2010 2:35 PM, Bobby Johnson wrote:
> This is something that should be taken to Lenovo Technical Support. I
> have two laptops and neither of them have problems hibernating with
> Windows 7; one is 32-bit and one is 64-bit - An Asus and a Dell with no
> drive letter assigned to the System Reserved partition on either of them.

Thanks Bobby, but there's no way Lenovo is going to be able to help me
with this. It's a real killer of a problem, and those guys generally
have a book they use to troubleshoot stuff like this. The solution to
this one ain't in no book...

> On 2010-08-11 11:12, Alexander Shenkin wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> My machine is unable to hibernate: when I try, it cranks the HDD for
>> 10-15 seconds, beeps, and then brings me to the login screen (it's as if
>> i've just locked my screen).
>>
>> If I assign a drive letter to the win 7 hidden partition, hibernation
>> works again. I can un-assign the drive letter in the same session, and
>> hibernation still works. Upon reboot however, hibernation returns to
>> its broken state. If this issue is a symptom of a basic problem
>> somewhere, there might be other symptoms as well: bcdedit doesn't find
>> the bcd store unless I assign a drive letter to the hidden partition.
>> And my machine sometimes fails to assign drive letters to some USB
>> drives, but that might stem from a different problem.
>>
>> Any idea what might be happening here, and how to fix it?
>>
>> I suspect it might have something to do with active partitions (my
>> hidden partition is marked as active), but that doesn't quite seem to
>> jibe. Folks who dual boot seem to run into some similar issues at times
>> - when the other OS partitions are marked as active, hibernate seems to
>> break in a very similiar way.
>>
>> I have tried the following, none of which have helped: ran sfc /scannow;
>> booted into clean boot mode (MS services only, no startup progs); ran a
>> Startup Repair; ran chkdsk; reverted all services to their default
>> install state; reinstalled video, network and chipset drivers. I have
>> no USB devices. All network devices have their Wake option disabled.
>> Hybrid sleep mode is disabled. I can sleep my system with no problems.
>> No system restore point is available from before the problem cropped
>> up. Microsoft support is not available to me as this is an MSDNAA
>> install of windows.
>>
>> Ideas are very welcome! I would love to lick this problem without
>> screwing up my system with a repair install.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> alex
>>

>> Win 7 Pro x64
>> Thinkpad T400 2764-CTO