From: Lorne on
Whenever I put my computer into sleep mode it restarts with no sound. I
have the latest drivers installed and all Windows updates. If I start
Media Player and click on a music track I get an error message saying there
is an error with my sound device, there might not be one, it might be in use
by another program or it is not functioning properly. A reboot solves the
issue.

I have searched on Google and found hundreds of others with the same problem
(nearly all with HD audio like I have) but I can't find a solution. It
seems to be a generic problem with Windows 7 64bit as many different laptops
and desktops show the same symptoms.

Does anybody know how to solve it?

From: Carlos on
Lorne,
Just a hunch but won't hurt to try.
Audio chipsets embedded in motherboards usually have 3 options in BIOS:
Auto, Enabled, Disabled.
Reboot, enter BIOS setup and set it to "Enabled" because the default is
usually "Automatic".
Post back your results.
Carlos

From: Lorne on
Just checked and it was already set to Enabled.

From: Rob on

"Lorne" <lorne_anderson(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Whenever I put my computer into sleep mode it restarts with no sound. I
> have the latest drivers installed and all Windows updates. If I start
> Media Player and click on a music track I get an error message saying
> there is an error with my sound device, there might not be one, it might
> be in use by another program or it is not functioning properly. A reboot
> solves the issue.
>
> I have searched on Google and found hundreds of others with the same
> problem (nearly all with HD audio like I have) but I can't find a
> solution. It seems to be a generic problem with Windows 7 64bit as many
> different laptops and desktops show the same symptoms.
>
> Does anybody know how to solve it?

What make and model laptop? Does yours use the same hardware sound device
as the others? If so the chances are that the power saving features of the
sound
hardware driver are not working properly. Only a driver fix from the sound
hardware
manufacturer is likely to resolve it.
I noticed on several desktops that the HD sound hardware does not have any
power features tab available in Device Manager, so presumably the sound chip
in these is never put into low power mode during sleep; The sound still
works
after waking up these machines.
If your sound hardware does have an 'Allow windows to turn off this device
to save
power' checkbox, try disabling it. If sound now works after sleep mode, the
soundcard drivers probably need fixing.