From: Bella Jones on
Someone just gave me an old A3 scanner, a Mustek ScanExpress SE A3 USB
600 Pro. It has no power supply with it and comes with one disc with
installer for drivers on it. Seems to work with PC and Mac.

Anyone got experience with these? I have installed what I can but can't
see anything in the system that resembles software. It may just be
drivers in fact, and from informal googling I may have to go in through
an app like Photoshop.

Re the power supply, I am comparing the tech specs with my current
scanner, a Epson Perfection 1600 Photo, but cannot figure out whether it
would be safe to try the Mustek out with the Epson's PSU. Fraid I don't
read electrical things very well.

Mustek:
<http://www.mustek.com.tw/html/prod_scan/ScEA3USB600Pro/specification.ht
ml>
Epson:
<http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pr126_/pr126_rf/specs_4.htm>

It would be nice to get it going if possible, even if I do have to buy a
new PSU, but it would be nice to see if i can get it working first.

Thanks to anyone whose got a mo...

--
bellajonez at yahoo dot co dot uk
From: Marco Bakker on
Bella Jones <me9(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> Someone just gave me an old A3 scanner, a Mustek ScanExpress SE A3 USB
> 600 Pro. It has no power supply with it and comes with one disc with
> installer for drivers on it. Seems to work with PC and Mac.
>
> Anyone got experience with these? I have installed what I can but can't
> see anything in the system that resembles software. It may just be
> drivers in fact, and from informal googling I may have to go in through
> an app like Photoshop.
>
> Re the power supply, I am comparing the tech specs with my current
> scanner, a Epson Perfection 1600 Photo, but cannot figure out whether it
> would be safe to try the Mustek out with the Epson's PSU. Fraid I don't
> read electrical things very well.
>
> Mustek:
> <http://www.mustek.com.tw/html/prod_scan/ScEA3USB600Pro/specification.ht
> ml>
> Epson:
> <http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pr126_/pr126_rf/specs_4.htm>
>
> It would be nice to get it going if possible, even if I do have to buy a
> new PSU, but it would be nice to see if i can get it working first.
>
> Thanks to anyone whose got a mo...

I installed one a week ago for a friend. You need the PSU though, the
USB connecton won't supply power.

I found OS X drivers long ago. Told my friend to install them but he
didn't get it working. I went over and tried to install the open source
SANE drivers, but that didn't work. However when starting Photoshop I
noticed a TWAIN driver in the import menu and that worked. The TWAIN
driver was part of the downloaded software from Mustek (my friend just
didn't find it after installing). You have to supply your serial number
to get to the drivers on the Taiwanese Mustek website but on the german
site they won't bother you with that:
<http://www.mustek.de/eng_/html/treiber/scanner_scanexpress_usb.htm>
..
The TWAIN driver works but the software stinks. It looks and works as if
it's someones first try on OS X programming. If you choose to make a
preview it makes one but you can't dismiss the dialog after that, you
have to make a real scan first. and that's a rather slow process.
All tested on a Mac mini Core Solo with OS X 10.4.11. I am not sure it
will work in newer versions of OS X, but according to their website the
drivers is OK with 10.5. Picture quality is quite OK for such a bargain
A3 scanner but certainly not better than that of a recent Epson scanner.

--

marco
From: Dr Geoff Hone on
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:37:21 +0000, me9(a)privacy.net (Bella Jones)
wrote:

<snip>

>Re the power supply, I am comparing the tech specs with my current
>scanner, a Epson Perfection 1600 Photo, but cannot figure out whether it
>would be safe to try the Mustek out with the Epson's PSU. Fraid I don't
>read electrical things very well.
<snip>
Look at your Epson PSU - it should tell you what voltage output it is.
The Mustek requires 12v DC, 1.66 amp, 20watt, but I dont know what
polarity. Look on the scanner - at the label with the details
probably for a symbol like a broken circle with a dot in the centre.
Lines coming off thecircle and dot will end in a + or - sign, that
tells you what the specification is. Do that and come back. Meantime
I can check my Universal PSU and see if it can deliver the right
output.
Geoff
From: Jon B on
Bella Jones <me9(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> Someone just gave me an old A3 scanner, a Mustek ScanExpress SE A3 USB
> 600 Pro. It has no power supply with it and comes with one disc with
> installer for drivers on it. Seems to work with PC and Mac.
>
> Anyone got experience with these? I have installed what I can but can't
> see anything in the system that resembles software. It may just be
> drivers in fact, and from informal googling I may have to go in through
> an app like Photoshop.
>
> Re the power supply, I am comparing the tech specs with my current
> scanner, a Epson Perfection 1600 Photo, but cannot figure out whether it
> would be safe to try the Mustek out with the Epson's PSU. Fraid I don't
> read electrical things very well.
>
> Mustek:
> <http://www.mustek.com.tw/html/prod_scan/ScEA3USB600Pro/specification.ht
> ml>
> Epson:
> <http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/pr126_/pr126_rf/specs_4.htm>
>
> It would be nice to get it going if possible, even if I do have to buy a
> new PSU, but it would be nice to see if i can get it working first.
>
> Thanks to anyone whose got a mo...

The Mustek wants 12v, the Epson gives 15v, so it might blow it. So you
may want something like these
<http://maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=96964>
(12v version)
<http://www.amazon.co.uk/Switch-mode-power-supply-3V-1500mA/dp/B000L9C20
6/ref=pd_cp_ce_2>
to power it.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
From: Hugh Browton on
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:37:21 +0000, Bella Jones wrote
(in article <1j9pa4l.vm9ubj1yuoi24N%me9(a)privacy.net>):

> Someone just gave me an old A3 scanner, a Mustek ScanExpress SE A3 USB
> 600 Pro. It has no power supply with it and comes with one disc with
> installer for drivers on it. Seems to work with PC and Mac.
>
> Anyone got experience with these?

I have a client who loves his to death. Old software and advice from here:

http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/

and here:

http://periscopestudio.com/?s=mustek&x=0&y=0

However his old scanner died and he's bought a new A3 scanner and the
included drivers from Mustek are just fine.

> It would be nice to get it going if possible, even if I do have to buy a
> new PSU, but it would be nice to see if i can get it working first.
>
> Thanks to anyone whose got a mo...

Just trying to find out if the p/s from the old scanner is available.....

--
regards
hugh

"The question of whether Machines Can Think... is about as relevant as the
question of whether Submarines Can Swim." Edsger Dijkstra (1930-2002)