From: David Mark on
RobG wrote:
> On Feb 19, 6:43 am, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tested IE5.5 and IE6 using that IETester thing as my other multi-IE box
>> crashed a week ago. Perfect (as expected). Can anyone else see a
>> problem in IE < 7?
>>
>> http://www.cinsoft.net/taskspeed.html
>
> For a bit of fun I tried Safari 1.0.3 (Mac OS 10.2.8).

Confirmed that Safari 1.2 is fine for My Library and the rest bombed on
at least one test (and you can't be a little bit pregnant). I didn't
see the results myself, but if history is any indicator, the "at least
one" report likely translates to "many".

Now that I notice you were talking of Safari 1.0.3 and not 1.2, I am
almost certain that the query features (among others) are pruned, so
SlickSpeed is just blundering by trying to call a $ function that isn't
there.

I suspect I will go ahead and fix up these frameworks now that I am
hosting them on my site. First thing I want is for TaskSpeed to run in
IE5.0 (it does actually work in 5.5, for mine only though) and make it
detect when the API features it needs are absent. Same for SlickSpeed
as one of the first lines in slickspeed.js throws an exception.

//base test functions

function forEach(iterable, fn, bind){
for (var i = 0, j = iterable.length; i < j; i++) fn.call(bind,
iterable[i], i, iterable);
};

Like they really needed to use call. :(

But I need to make it do some rudimentary feature detection and skip and
mark columns that have degraded gracefully (won't happen West of the
last two at the moment, but perhaps in the future). IIRC, queries
degrade at version 6 in Opera, version 4 in NN and either 5.0 or 4 in
IE. Probably Safari 1.1 or 1.0 is the end of the line for them as well.
I'll find out. For those who don't understand the point of all of
this, read up on it the test-related discussion in my forum. If, after
that, you still don't get why I test "ancient" browsers, you probably
never will. :)

The CSS for these things is a mess too (what a shock) and I have some
ideas for styling columns that have at least one failure, cells that
total those disallowed columns, etc. It really needs to have _expected_
results as well. It seems silly that the SlickSpeed test must rely on
disagreements to determine there is a counting problem (what if they are
all wrong?) Other than "*", which can be affected by DOM
implementations and a couple of the more esoteric and less than formally
specified (and/or non-standard) selectors, the answers are not really
open to interpretation. With expected results, it will be possible to
mark wrong answers, rather than obscuring the results for the whole row.
From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message
<hmneeb$qin$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Wed, 3 Mar 2010 23:51:06,
David Mark <dmark.cinsoft(a)gmail.com> posted

You write a lot about something called "My Library", a term for which
Google finds 19,600,000 results.

Would it not be helpful to put, say, <http://www.cinsoft.net/mylib.html>
in signatures to your articles?

That introductory page does not say what language the library is written
in.

The link on that page to this newsgroup points to Google. However, this
is a Usenet newsgroup, and it would be good to have a link to
<news:comp.lang.javascript> before the Google one. A Web browser
should call up the user's newsreader software, if any, from that link.

There appears to be only one instance of the word "date" in that domain,
and that is on a page seemingly intended for readers of Spanish :-) .

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ???@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.07 MIME
Prof Timo Salmi's Usenet Q&A <URL:ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tsfaqn.zip>
From: Jorge on
On Mar 6, 8:40 pm, Dr J R Stockton <reply1...(a)merlyn.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> There appears to be only one instance of the word "date" in that domain,
> and that is on a page seemingly intended for readers of Spanish :-)

Y ja, y ja, y ja. Feestro, te bi a partí el diodenor por mochu elo :-)
--
Jorge.