From: Scott Sauyet on
Matt Kruse wrote:
> 5) jQuery does not enable progressive enhancement, despite its claims

In what way? The other arguments I recognize and give some credence
to, but I've never seen this one.

-- Scott
From: Andrew Poulos on
On 25/02/2010 5:58 AM, S.T. wrote:
> On 2/23/2010 10:03 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:
>> Is Internet Explorer 6 slow and buggy? Yes. It was slow and buggy and
>> did not support many standards and failed to meet the expectations for
>> many developers (including an angry me) on its date of release. Are
>> better alternatives available? Provided a definition of "better"
>> includes mention of things like security, support of standards,
>> performance, frequency of bug fixes (or time to fix a bug), then yes,
>> better alternatives exist.
>>

> I think a better analogy might be MS Word. It has a lot of
> functionality, same good -- some not. Ignore the cost of Word and
> alternatives for the analogy here.

What about this:

A pharmaceutical product, let's call it "jay" is developed for pregnant
women who suffer "morning sickness".
Jay is well promoted and so is used by many doctors in the treatment of
their patients.
Many patients record excellent results i.e. jay just *works*.
After about a year a research doctor points out a casual link between
jay and tragic birth defects.
The pharmaceutical company lambaste him and his research.
Subsequently other doctors conduct their own research and jay is
eventually withdrawn from sale.

Andrew Poulos
From: Garrett Smith on
Andrew Poulos wrote:
> On 25/02/2010 5:58 AM, S.T. wrote:
>> On 2/23/2010 10:03 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:
>>> Is Internet Explorer 6 slow and buggy? Yes. It was slow and buggy and
>>> did not support many standards and failed to meet the expectations for
>>> many developers (including an angry me) on its date of release. Are
>>> better alternatives available? Provided a definition of "better"
>>> includes mention of things like security, support of standards,
>>> performance, frequency of bug fixes (or time to fix a bug), then yes,
>>> better alternatives exist.
>>>

>> I think a better analogy might be MS Word. It has a lot of
>> functionality, same good -- some not. Ignore the cost of Word and
>> alternatives for the analogy here.
>
> What about this:

[...]

There are so many bs drugs that get hyped that you didn't have to make
one up.

For example:

"Nolvadex", drug name Tamoxifen Citrate, was developed as a SERM used to
fight estrogen-responsive cancer (breast cancer, in particular). It goes
on the market. Years later, a strong correlation to Nolvadex users and
uterine cancer is discovered.

Does Nolvadex work? Sure, for many doctors, it works great and although
it may be banned in other countries (for the obvious reason that it
*causes* cancer), it is prescribed by doctors in the USA.

In order to assess quality of solutions, real comparisons and
cost-benefit analysis needs to be made. A real cost benefit analysis
includes efficiency of outcome, flexibility of solution, long tern
consequences.

Hand-waving the big picture is not going to cut it; not here.
--
Garrett
From: S.T. on
On 2/24/2010 1:02 PM, Andrew Poulos wrote:
> A pharmaceutical product, let's call it "jay" is developed for pregnant
> women who suffer "morning sickness".
> Jay is well promoted and so is used by many doctors in the treatment of
> their patients.
> Many patients record excellent results i.e. jay just *works*.
> After about a year a research doctor points out a casual link between
> jay and tragic birth defects.
> The pharmaceutical company lambaste him and his research.
> Subsequently other doctors conduct their own research and jay is
> eventually withdrawn from sale.

errrr.... yes Andrew, it is EXACTLY like that. I'd venture that's the
best scripting error to permanent human suffering analogy I've ever seen.

Gotta run and check the jQuery Bug Tracker - suddenly nervous a
miscalculating width() function could cause the user's monitor to
explode and send shards of glass into their eyes. Bad for business.
From: Matt Kruse on
On Feb 24, 4:08 pm, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> In order to assess quality of solutions, real comparisons and
> cost-benefit analysis needs to be made. A real cost benefit analysis
> includes efficiency of outcome, flexibility of solution, long tern
> consequences.

Indeed... consider chemotherapy. It is known to have all kinds of
(potentially fatal) side-effects. And yet quite often, it is the best
known choice because the alternative of _not_ doing chemo is even
worse.

Chemo has been shown to be effective and useful. It has been shown to
be very damaging. There are other cancer treatments available that
some claim are better, but chemo is still used.

These analogies just make it obvious to me that:

1) Just because something is imperfect does not mean it's NOT the best
solution or that it SHOULD be avoided.

2) Just because something appears to work doesn't mean it IS the best
solution or that it SHOULDN'T avoided.

3) A real analysis that considers all the factors and weighs them
appropriately is required to come to any meaningful conclusion.

4) Analogies suck.

Matt Kruse