From: David Mark on
Andrew Poulos wrote:
> On 23/02/2010 10:12 AM, S.T. wrote:

>>> Still, what does this have to do with jQuery (or not using jQuery?)
>>
>> This subtopic began with my reasoning as to why I don't care if jQuery
>> works for mobile browsers -- specifically, because I don't care about
>> the mobile market and the reason why.
>
> You know that if I was your manager and I brought my shiny new mobile
> device to you to help me get our company's web site to display on it
> properly and you told me that you don't care the site doesn't display
> properly on mobile devices your next task would be to update your resume.

Well said. The industry needs more managers like you. Unfortunately,
it is my experience that the typical middle manager is an enabler of
incompetence. They don't know anything, so they assume that shiny
jQuery muck is genius, reinforcing the delusions of the programmers and
making it harder to tell them they are dead wrong (how could a "genius"
be wrong so often?)

>>> I am, but why should I ignore the "competitor" shortcomings. Seems
>>> relevant to me (and to others apparently).
>>
>> Recognizing competitor's shortcomings doesn't exactly translate to
>> jumping into any post that happens to reference one of them, proclaiming
>> them fatally flawed garbage written by clueless fools.
>
> Still attacking the messenger and not checking whether the message that
> is carried is valid or not.

Yes. See also Matt Kruse, who demonstrated your point exactly. Works
for him! :)
From: S.T. on
On 2/22/2010 3:40 PM, Andrew Poulos wrote:
> On 23/02/2010 10:12 AM, S.T. wrote:
>> This subtopic began with my reasoning as to why I don't care if jQuery
>> works for mobile browsers -- specifically, because I don't care about
>> the mobile market and the reason why.
>
> You know that if I was your manager and I brought my shiny new mobile
> device to you to help me get our company's web site to display on it
> properly and you told me that you don't care the site doesn't display
> properly on mobile devices your next task would be to update your resume.

Thank goodness I'm a part-owner (though not majority) and not all that
easy to get rid of. I'm not discussing a client here -- I might not be
so cavalier about my decision to write off mobile for the time being
were it for a client who's business I did not know inside out. Hell,
were it for a client I could milk more billable hours to ensure mobile
bliss, regardless of mobile's actual value to that business.

Look, I could put up a mobile-friendly version of the site in a matter
of days. At present there is little to no value. You don't have to
believe me, but at least believe I'm working off more data than my gut
instinct and simply maintain I'm interpreting the data wrong.

Fact is my resources are better served elsewhere, though admittedly
participating in endless loop arguments on cljs might suggest otherwise.

>> Recognizing competitor's shortcomings doesn't exactly translate to
>> jumping into any post that happens to reference one of them, proclaiming
>> them fatally flawed garbage written by clueless fools.
>
> Still attacking the messenger and not checking whether the message that
> is carried is valid or not.

I'd say "attacking" is overstating my demeanor just a bit, while David
being labeled something so innocent as "messenger" is a bit generous.

David can't envision a scenario where using one of the major libraries
makes sense whereas I'm quite certain there are scenarios where it makes
sense and others where it isn't so wise. We appear to be equally baffled
by the other's conclusion. There doesn't seem to be much common ground
to discuss further.

From: Andrew Poulos on
On 23/02/2010 11:29 AM, S.T. wrote:
> On 2/22/2010 3:40 PM, Andrew Poulos wrote:
>> On 23/02/2010 10:12 AM, S.T. wrote:
>>> This subtopic began with my reasoning as to why I don't care if jQuery
>>> works for mobile browsers -- specifically, because I don't care about
>>> the mobile market and the reason why.
>>
>> You know that if I was your manager and I brought my shiny new mobile
>> device to you to help me get our company's web site to display on it
>> properly and you told me that you don't care the site doesn't display
>> properly on mobile devices your next task would be to update your resume.
>>

> Thank goodness I'm a part-owner (though not majority) and not all that
> easy to get rid of. I'm not discussing a client here -- I might not be
> so cavalier about my decision to write off mobile for the time being
> were it for a client who's business I did not know inside out. Hell,
> were it for a client I could milk more billable hours to ensure mobile
> bliss, regardless of mobile's actual value to that business.

You think that caring about mobile devices is equivalent to defrauding
your clients???

> Look, I could put up a mobile-friendly version of the site in a matter
> of days. At present there is little to no value. You don't have to
> believe me, but at least believe I'm working off more data than my gut
> instinct and simply maintain I'm interpreting the data wrong.
>
> Fact is my resources are better served elsewhere, though admittedly
> participating in endless loop arguments on cljs might suggest otherwise.

Fact is, I couldn't hire you simply because you don't care about a
growing sector of the market.

>>> Recognizing competitor's shortcomings doesn't exactly translate to
>>> jumping into any post that happens to reference one of them, proclaiming
>>> them fatally flawed garbage written by clueless fools.
>>
>> Still attacking the messenger and not checking whether the message that
>> is carried is valid or not.
>
> I'd say "attacking" is overstating my demeanor just a bit, while David
> being labelled something so innocent as "messenger" is a bit generous.

Ok, if your prefer, "you appear to continue to fail to address the valid
objective criticisms that have been raised".

> David can't envision a scenario where using one of the major libraries

Yes of course, its David's fault that he publicises faults he finds in
GP libraries.

> makes sense whereas I'm quite certain there are scenarios where it makes

I guess if you can offload the responsibility for things not working
(eg. lack of support for mobile devices, or XHTML support) then you're
lucky.

> sense and others where it isn't so wise. We appear to be equally baffled
> by the other's conclusion. There doesn't seem to be much common ground
> to discuss further.

I doubt anyone wants a discussion per se. I want an argument where one
side presents a premise drawn on various facts (which David has done)
and the other side counters the premise with facts of their own (which
no one appears to have done). Not talking about whether calling David a
"messenger" is generous.

Andrew Poulos

From: S.T. on
On 2/22/2010 7:12 PM, Andrew Poulos wrote:
> On 23/02/2010 11:29 AM, S.T. wrote:
>> Thank goodness I'm a part-owner (though not majority) and not all that
>> easy to get rid of. I'm not discussing a client here -- I might not be
>> so cavalier about my decision to write off mobile for the time being
>> were it for a client who's business I did not know inside out. Hell,
>> were it for a client I could milk more billable hours to ensure mobile
>> bliss, regardless of mobile's actual value to that business.
>
> You think that caring about mobile devices is equivalent to defrauding
> your clients???

The fact is for many business' mobile, at present, is about as useful as
a flash-intro page. You know it and I know it. You sell pizzas? OK,
mobile might have some value. You sell chemical analysis of dirt soil
samples for the oil industry? Mobile has absolutely no value whatsoever.

In the future? Perhaps, as who knows for certain. But a client should at
least be told your doing extra work and/or constraining design choices
based on your speculative assessment of the web's future. "Sure, the
layout is pretty lackluster BUT it scales perfectly for 320px browsers
for all that mobile traffic headed your way!!! One site to cover it
all!!" That's not an example of fraud, it's an example of exaggerating
your expertise and, likely, incompetence.

>> Fact is my resources are better served elsewhere, though admittedly
>> participating in endless loop arguments on cljs might suggest otherwise.
>
> Fact is, I couldn't hire you simply because you don't care about a
> growing sector of the market.

Among the list of reasons you couldn't hire me, this one ranks pretty low.

>> I'd say "attacking" is overstating my demeanor just a bit, while David
>> being labelled something so innocent as "messenger" is a bit generous.
>
> Ok, if your prefer, "you appear to continue to fail to address the valid
> objective criticisms that have been raised".

While David may have made some valid points and illustrated some errors
in the past 2.5 years (really? 30 months of yelling about this?)
preaching from his code-perfect pulpit, it's a rare soul that would use
the term "objective" when describing that effort.

>> David can't envision a scenario where using one of the major libraries
>
> Yes of course, its David's fault that he publicises faults he finds in
> GP libraries.

I don't think anyone minds David pointing out flaws. Many find the
analysis useful. Rather, it's the inevitable tantrum added to each
criticism where he derides every developer for not dropping everything
that instant to fix what he's found (or, most often, starting from
scratch) and mocking each user for not immediately abandoning all use of
a library until it meets his threshhold for perfection.

"Publicise" <> http://google.com/search?q=davidmark+site%3Aajaxian.com

>> makes sense whereas I'm quite certain there are scenarios where it makes
>
> I guess if you can offload the responsibility for things not working
> (eg. lack of support for mobile devices, or XHTML support) then you're
> lucky.

I don't know where XHTML came into the conversation. I don't know if the
libraries support it or not as, again, I don't care (I'd have to serve
it up as text/html anyhow). The only possible merit to XHTML is for
machines to more easily read the document -- not too concerned if my
client-side scripting works for a spider.

>> sense and others where it isn't so wise. We appear to be equally baffled
>> by the other's conclusion. There doesn't seem to be much common ground
>> to discuss further.
>
> I doubt anyone wants a discussion per se. I want an argument where one
> side presents a premise drawn on various facts (which David has done)
> and the other side counters the premise with facts of their own (which
> no one appears to have done). Not talking about whether calling David a
> "messenger" is generous.

No one is claiming the libraries are flawless. I don't know what you
(and presumably David) read that suggests otherwise.

From: David Mark on
S.T. wrote:
> On 2/22/2010 7:12 PM, Andrew Poulos wrote:
>> On 23/02/2010 11:29 AM, S.T. wrote:
>>> Thank goodness I'm a part-owner (though not majority) and not all that
>>> easy to get rid of. I'm not discussing a client here -- I might not be
>>> so cavalier about my decision to write off mobile for the time being
>>> were it for a client who's business I did not know inside out. Hell,
>>> were it for a client I could milk more billable hours to ensure mobile
>>> bliss, regardless of mobile's actual value to that business.
>>
>> You think that caring about mobile devices is equivalent to defrauding
>> your clients???
>
> The fact is for many business' mobile, at present, is about as useful as
> a flash-intro page.

That's nonsensical hyperbole.

> You know it and I know it.

That's an assertion you aren't qualified to make.

> You sell pizzas? OK,
> mobile might have some value. You sell chemical analysis of dirt soil
> samples for the oil industry? Mobile has absolutely no value whatsoever.

That's crazy. Virtually everyone carries a mobile browser these days
(and the ones who may be unable to afford such are likely using older
browsers and dial-up at home, which IIRC you don't care about either).

> In the future? Perhaps, as who knows for certain.

Mobile browsers are important right now (and have been for years).

> But a client should at
> least be told your doing extra work and/or constraining design choices
> based on your speculative assessment of the web's future.

What extra work? That's the fallacy in this (and similar) arguments.
Doing it right takes no longer than doing it wrong (and doing it wrong
leads to making two sites down the road when one would have done).

> "Sure, the
> layout is pretty lackluster BUT it scales perfectly for 320px browsers
> for all that mobile traffic headed your way!!! One site to cover it
> all!!"

You don't get it at all. Did you look at that example I showed you.
Did you consider it lackluster because it only had two columns? How
many columns do you think are wise? And BTW, it adjusts to one column
in most older mobile devices.

Here it is again:-

http://www.hartkelaw.net/

Other than it is waiting for a real logo and some real content, what do
you find "lackluster" about that?

Also, if you use fluid layouts, they will scale, regardless of the
number of columns (and more than two is too many anyway).

> That's not an example of fraud, it's an example of exaggerating
> your expertise and, likely, incompetence.

Huh?

>>> Fact is my resources are better served elsewhere, though admittedly
>>> participating in endless loop arguments on cljs might suggest otherwise.
>>
>> Fact is, I couldn't hire you simply because you don't care about a
>> growing sector of the market.
>
> Among the list of reasons you couldn't hire me, this one ranks pretty low.

Any time I hear a Web developer telling me they "don't care" about this
browser or that sector, I figure that means they just let those break,
which is completely incompetent. It's not hard to write documents that
work, even in environments that you don't care about. Make no mistake
that your end-users don't know (or care) what you care about. All they
know is whether your sites work. If your scripts blow up during
initialization, there's a good chance that your sites will not work,
perhaps wasting the end-users time (e.g. they fill out a form, hit
submit and nothing happens).

>>> I'd say "attacking" is overstating my demeanor just a bit, while David
>>> being labelled something so innocent as "messenger" is a bit generous.
>>
>> Ok, if your prefer, "you appear to continue to fail to address the valid
>> objective criticisms that have been raised".
>
> While David may have made some valid points and illustrated some errors
> in the past 2.5 years (really? 30 months of yelling about this?)
> preaching from his code-perfect pulpit, it's a rare soul that would use
> the term "objective" when describing that effort.

I never said anything about "perfect code" (mine or otherwise). That's
something that they beetle-browed incompetents toss around, but they
made it up out of thin air.

As for valid points, what are the last five letters in jQuery? What do
queries do? They _read_ (or attempt to read) documents. And what did
they foul up the worst on? There you go. No amount of Matt Kruse (or
the like) dismissing every test case as an attribute (or scenario) they
don't care about is going to change that.

Then there is the ridiculous height/width code, which makes another
important task near impossible. Not just problematic, but virtually
impossible in a cross-browser fashion. That's two and if you have read
my reviews, you know there are boatloads more. Granted, they have fixed
some of them, but where are the thanks for pointing them out? All I
hear is that they don't like my "yelling".

>>> David can't envision a scenario where using one of the major libraries
>>
>> Yes of course, its David's fault that he publicises faults he finds in
>> GP libraries.
>
> I don't think anyone minds David pointing out flaws.

Resig - for one - sure seems to. :)

> Many find the
> analysis useful.

Yes, those are called competent developers. Eventually they convince
the incompetents. It's like dropping a boulder into a large pond. The
waves eventually break on all shores.

> Rather, it's the inevitable tantrum added to each
> criticism where he derides every developer for not dropping everything
> that instant to fix what he's found (or, most often, starting from
> scratch) and mocking each user for not immediately abandoning all use of
> a library until it meets his threshhold for perfection.

That's your own interpretation. I've done nothing but try to help the
typical jQuery abuser. I've never blamed the ignorant, but those who
attempt to deceive them.

> "Publicise" <> http://google.com/search?q=davidmark+site%3Aajaxian.com

Huh?

>>> makes sense whereas I'm quite certain there are scenarios where it makes
>>
>> I guess if you can offload the responsibility for things not working
>> (eg. lack of support for mobile devices, or XHTML support) then you're
>> lucky.
>
> I don't know where XHTML came into the conversation.

Somebody else expressed surprise that jQuery doesn't support XHTML (same
as Resig did when I pointed it out to him years ago). XHTML served as
(and error-corrected to) HTML is not XHTML, but that is beyond the
typical neophyte's understanding.

> I don't know if the
> libraries support it or not as, again, I don't care (I'd have to serve
> it up as text/html anyhow).

They don't and see above. And no, it's not a crime to forget about real
XHTML as it is a dead issue on the Web (and has been for years, save for
parts of the mobile sector).

> The only possible merit to XHTML is for
> machines to more easily read the document -- not too concerned if my
> client-side scripting works for a spider.

The issue is that library projects like jQuery ignorantly claim to
support something they don't.

>>> sense and others where it isn't so wise. We appear to be equally baffled
>>> by the other's conclusion. There doesn't seem to be much common ground
>>> to discuss further.
>>
>> I doubt anyone wants a discussion per se. I want an argument where one
>> side presents a premise drawn on various facts (which David has done)
>> and the other side counters the premise with facts of their own (which
>> no one appears to have done). Not talking about whether calling David a
>> "messenger" is generous.
>
> No one is claiming the libraries are flawless. I don't know what you
> (and presumably David) read that suggests otherwise.

There's a big difference between flawless and something that falls apart
every six months or so, requiring an incompatible "upgrade", re-testing,
etc. just to support the latest modern browsers (excepting Opera of
course) in their default configurations. It's crazy when you realize
that IE8 will be treated (by them) like Opera 6 in a few years (i.e.
they won't "care" about it). That's not a sound scripting or business
strategy.

And then there's the fact that, even with endless "upgrades", they never
get anything close to right (e.g. attribute handling in IE, which is
hardly a trivial concern for a *query* engine).