From: Eric Bednarz on
David Mark <dmark.cinsoft(a)gmail.com> writes:

> David Mark wrote:
>> Tested IE5.5 and IE6 using that IETester thing as my other multi-IE box
>> crashed a week ago. Perfect (as expected). Can anyone else see a
>> problem in IE < 7?
>>
>> http://www.cinsoft.net/taskspeed.html

Works for me with the setups below (all on VirtualBox with OS X 10.6 as
host; guests are pretty much up to date as far as excluding newer IE and
SP versions gets you).

I have no idea how to copy/extract the (relevant parts of the) results
on the windows guests without quitting my day job, so here's just the
final column:

IE 6 Windows XP SP3
1722 20870 6893 3414 21164 12173 11796 2643 6188 3793 4130 2383 1911 2000

IE 6 Windows XP SP2
1613 32047 8633 3705 28720 15010 13219 2852 4937 3937 4654 2403 2101 2097

IE 6 Windows 2000 SP4
1484 28553 6347 3095 24585 11389 11286 2403 5057 2623 4247 2192 1743
1914

make, indexof, sethtml and insertbefore are consistently faster/fastest,
the rest is gray (I suppose that's supposed to mean 'average' in some
parts of the flat world without needing a legend).

IE 5.5 on Windows 2000 SP4 gave a bunch of errors and froze halfway
through, so I didn't bother to check in 5.0. :-)
From: David Mark on
Andrew Poulos wrote:
> On 19/02/2010 10:19 AM, David Mark wrote:
>> David Mark wrote:
>>> Tested IE5.5 and IE6 using that IETester thing as my other multi-IE box
>>> crashed a week ago. Perfect (as expected). Can anyone else see a
>>> problem in IE< 7?
>>>
>>> http://www.cinsoft.net/taskspeed.html
>>>

>> And same results for this one:-
>>
>> http://scott.sauyet.com/Javascript/Test/taskspeed/2010-02-15a/
>>
>> So, is IETester a complete crock or is Scott seeing things? There's
>> really no in-between. I don't mean to imply that Scott's vision is
>> impaired. Rather I suspect that IETester is impaired in some odd way
>> (and unfortunately it is my only option for testing IE< 7 at the
>> moment).
>
> Under IE 6 on Win XP the bind selector caused the My Library cell to go
> red:
>
> 781 844
> msfound

I can't remember what red means. Slowest perhaps? I have found that in
_some_ browsers (IE included for sure), extraneous activity on the PC
can cause hiccups. So I usually run them a dozen times or so to
determine patterns.

> though all the libraries found 844 items.

Good to hear. They all count properly in the latest browsers AFAIK,
other than Prototype, which invariably returns undefined for one of them.

> Times:
>
> jquery 1.4.1 (alter) came in at 2833

IIRC, that was after Scott optimized the "expert" tests put forth by the
jQuery team. Perfectly allowable, of course.

> mylib 2862
> mylib (qsa) 2102

Yeah, I finally updated the online version to use the non-QSA version.
I had done it locally (where I do most of my testing), but must have
forgotten to upload it.

> mylib (alter) 2534

That was after Scott adjusted a few of my tests. I don't remember the
exact details, but it is all a matter of interpretation of the rules.
JFTR, I never read the rules at all (just looked at what the others were
doing). In retrospect, I suppose the "rules" wouldn't have helped
anyway. :)

> prototype 1.6.0.3 came in at 30,825 with tonnes of errors.

LOL. To be fair, I don't think that is the very latest Prototype. But
on the other hand, Prototype has been around for five years and
certainly purported to "smooth out" cross-browser issues (meaning IE in
their limited experience with "all browsers"). So LOL again. Pity for
those who bought into Prototype and now must come to the realization
that they have been had. Those friendly forum denizens weren't really
their friends at all. Close inspection will likely reveal that at least
some of them are selling books about Prototype (about as compelling
today as books about slide rules). :)

Thanks for your help Andrew! As always, it is much appreciated.

Seems like we really have something now. Granted, I still need to do
some work on the documentation, but then the others aren't exactly
standouts in that department either. I've got some very cool add-ons on
the way as well, including localization and data transports. Now if I
can just get some others interested in writing widgets on top of it (and
giving them away of course), the game will be all but over. :)

And as mentioned in the My Library forum, everything to this point
should be considered late Beta. I think a release candidate will be in
order shortly. Still, I'd take my Beta over their "releases" any day.
When things go wrong, you know who to call (and you know you won't be
directed to file a ticket). ;)
From: David Mark on
Eric Bednarz wrote:
> David Mark <dmark.cinsoft(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>> David Mark wrote:
>>> Tested IE5.5 and IE6 using that IETester thing as my other multi-IE box
>>> crashed a week ago. Perfect (as expected). Can anyone else see a
>>> problem in IE < 7?
>>>
>>> http://www.cinsoft.net/taskspeed.html
>
> Works for me with the setups below (all on VirtualBox with OS X 10.6 as
> host; guests are pretty much up to date as far as excluding newer IE and
> SP versions gets you).
>
> I have no idea how to copy/extract the (relevant parts of the) results
> on the windows guests without quitting my day job, so here's just the
> final column:
>
> IE 6 Windows XP SP3
> 1722 20870 6893 3414 21164 12173 11796 2643 6188 3793 4130 2383 1911 2000
>
> IE 6 Windows XP SP2
> 1613 32047 8633 3705 28720 15010 13219 2852 4937 3937 4654 2403 2101 2097
>
> IE 6 Windows 2000 SP4
> 1484 28553 6347 3095 24585 11389 11286 2403 5057 2623 4247 2192 1743
> 1914
>
> make, indexof, sethtml and insertbefore are consistently faster/fastest,
> the rest is gray (I suppose that's supposed to mean 'average' in some
> parts of the flat world without needing a legend).

Right.

> IE 5.5 on Windows 2000 SP4 gave a bunch of errors and froze halfway
> through, so I didn't bother to check in 5.0. :-)

Yeah, a lot of the included libraries (not mine) throw errors
immediately. All but mine passed the tests, but most of the others had
already died before I clicked the start button. Bad news for those
stuck with Windows 2000. :)

I haven't run TaskSpeed in IE5 either. I suspect that the test
framework itself will fail. I think my wrapper objects are pruned in
IE5 as well (require Function.prototype.call/apply), so the point is
moot. That's why I advise using the API instead (it's not that much
more typing). :) Queries should work in IE5, but tell that to jQuery
and the rest who are still struggling with IE8 (and dreading IE9 I'm sure).

var Q, E, D;

if (Q && E && D) {
// start "concise" object-centric app here
}

These test suites aren't ready for that. ;)

Thanks for your help, Eric! It is much appreciated.
From: David Mark on
Eric Bednarz wrote:

[...]

> IE 5.5 on Windows 2000 SP4 gave a bunch of errors and froze halfway
> through, so I didn't bother to check in 5.0. :-)

I can confirm that the testing framework itself fails in IE5.01, which
is perfectly ludicrous behavior if you ask me. But then, it is a
hastily hacked version of SlickSpeed, which was written by the MooTools
team.

I mean, it's not that anyone in their right mind would use IE5.01 today,
but there are lots of sub-standard browsers that are in use and likely
some of them have similar shortcomings. And if you can't handle a
browser, you have to exit gracefully. Blowing up right in the middle of
an enhancement is clearly not a planned exit strategy, but carelessness
on the part of the developers. Scripts are not allowed to die without
permission! :)

Other than the initial bombing by the various "majors" and lots of
freezing during the tests, IE5.5 came out okay (for My Library) and
virtually all blacked out for the rest. Same for SlickSpeed.
From: S.T. on
On 2/18/2010 4:26 PM, David Mark wrote:
>> No errors in either on IE6 on a WS 2003 box.
>
> Thanks S.T.!

No problem!

> The problem I have with such efforts is exemplified by a response I saw
> recently regarding an issue with their attr method. The user had used
> some slightly older version of the framework and found that their app
> broke in IE8. The first thing out of the mouth of the responder was
> "that version never _claimed_ to support IE8". That about sums it up,
> doesn't it? That's the mindset and it is completely out of step with
> sound cross-browser scripting practices.
>
> If a script can't survive from one version of IE (or any major browser)
> to the next, what possible shot does it have with older, unknown or
> otherwise "unsupported" browsers. As Richard has said, such
> multi-browser scripts can only be _expected_ to work in environments
> where they have been _demonstrated_ to work (paraphrasing and emphasis
> is mine). Taken to the extreme, due to the seemingly constant browser
> revisions and automated delivery mechanisms such as Windows Update, you
> really can't feel confident in anything you haven't tested _today_. And
> seeing as IE - for example - has more configuration permutations than
> can be tested in one lifetime, understanding and logic has to win out
> over confused hacking by empirical observation. ;)

I know what you're saying, but....

In my couple year's of jQuery experience, which is admittedly a small
sample being one developer, I've had virtually no issues with upgrading
-- both browsers and newer jQuery versions. Specifically zero problems
when IE8 was introduced, zero problems swapping jQuery 1.2 for 1.3, and
the single problem I had upgrading to jQuery 1.4 was a plugin called
BlockUI failed. I removed it's functionality in the interface in about
45 seconds and all was resolved (generally speaking, I avoid jQuery
plugins for this reason).

Perhaps I should explain what I do, as maybe a narrow niche makes me a
better candidate for jQuery than others. My work (aside from occasional
freelance project) entails, basically, six projects - 2 public-facing
websites and 4 projects best described as intranet apps, two of which
are quite extensive. As a footnote, every single page on my sites is
DOCTYPE'd HTML4.01 Strict (aside from those outputting JSON, etc).
Perhaps that is among the reason I run into virtually no issues.

On the public websites, the javascript functionality is fairly trivial
stuff intended simply to enhance the experience for visitors, and to a
lesser degree for SEO. We're talking basic AJAX stuff, toggling some div
visibility for makeshift filtering of results, form validation, *very*
light animation to, etc. I can barely get Joe Surfer to consistently
realize he should click the giant orange button that says "Proceed" in
the event he wishes to proceed -- much less create complex interfaces
for public use.

Of my past month's visitors (roughly 20K), 98.8% of visitors are on
Safari3+, IE6+, FF2+ or Chrome -- or what jQuery claims to support
(granted, Android and iPhones will be lumped in there too. More on that
below). If I add in Opera9+, not officially supported but seems to work
anyhow, its 0.2% share brings the total is 99%.

3.2% of last month's traffic was mobile (iPhone, iPod, Android and
Blackberry). Our site is a poor candidate for mobile browsers. We are in
the travel sector with an average transaction of ~$3600. Folks are not
using their mobile phones to plan $3600 travel packages, nor will they
in the near future. I can see the search terms mobile browsers use to
reach the site and they're ALL reference searches, not commercial
searches. I'm happy to help these guys out but, to put it bluntly,
reference seekers don't matter to my primary objective (sales/revenue).
Most are just seeking a phone number or property address - even if my
jQuery code is failing on those browsers (don't know, don't care)
they're unlikely to spot the error.

So on the public side I'm perfectly content with jQuery's limitations as
they don't have any negative impact except, possibly, the <1% of my
sites' non-mobile visitors using obscure browsers. I don't know for
certain but can live with it regardless. Perhaps this is because I'm not
doing anything 'cutting edge', just some convenience for AJAX and DOM
selection and basic manipulation. jQuery's advantages here aren't
dramatic either, but it's just faster, much much faster, for me to code
using it's wrappers. Since most visitors have it cached from Google
already, or worst-case an efficient CDN delivers it to them, I prefer to
use it.

Now on the intranet side my coding is a bit more 'adventurous'. More
dramatic appending and re-arranging the DOM, overlays to set crop marks
on photos, drag and drop, etc. More wide-ranging stuff that's a little
more suspect on the cross-browser front. But, being an intranet, I get
to tell the users to use the latest version of FF or Chrome -- or else
don't bother me if there's a problem. I don't bother to support IE
in-house largely because it's slow and due to it's rendering bugs.

Some still use IE on occasion (third-party airline res systems used
in-house require IE and they'll forget to switch browsers) and, while I
never bother to test any of my intranet stuff on IE, the only 'errors'
I've been called to fix were the result of non-jQuery stuff - awful
overflow: rendering or float: issues. In fact, since IE8 came out, all
my intranet stuff appears to work just fine except a) parts of my UI's
rely on CSS -*-border-radius: to look correct and b) re-arranging a
couple hundred DIVs on a sorting function still takes 5x longer vs. FF
or Chrome.

The development I'm doing on intranet sites is RIDICULOUSLY faster using
jQuery. For me, at least. Its AJAX and DOM selection, animation effects,
bubbling for virtually all event types (since 1.4), it's handy
Serialize() function couple with PHP's parse_str() -- all of it has sped
up development... I'm guessing here... five-fold. Most importantly, it
allows me to code in a manner that feels much more comfortable to me.
Many compact, independent functions - easy to code, easy to debug.
Others might use a different coding mindset with jQuery but I like to
keep it simple, even if slightly inefficient.

I don't doubt you that attr() has issues, but not for what I'm using it
for. I'm not trying to change tabindex on the fly or convert an <input>
from 'text' to 'file' or use change a predefined input's 'value' that
may then conflict with a user-input value. Or whatever odd uses might
cause errors. I'd prefer it to be flawless, but it doesn't really matter
to me. I use it to switch an src, or perhaps grab/switch an alt or title
as a hacky means of outputting SQL data into parts of the DOM. Works
fine for those purposes.

Maybe jQuery over-advertises by calling itself "cross-browser". Maybe
"cross-current-major-desktop-browser" is more apt. For many of us,
that's all we need. Maybe you're right and it's not a great choice for
"build it and forget about it" development -- most everything I do will
never live more than one IE cycle before being
revisited/enhanced/tweaked/completely rewritten anyhow regardless of jQuery.

Mostly jQuery gives me time, and a lot of it. Faster development time
and the ability to code pretty advanced stuff without an extensive
knowledge of each browser's nuances, or need to learn it. That time, and
what I'm able to accomplish with it, is far more valuable to our bottom
line than a minute percentage of our traffic who may be struggling with
certain functionality on our sites because jQuery isn't perfect.

My goal is not to cater our sites to 100% of the possible audience. My
goal is to maximize revenue and minimize expenses. In our company's case
I can assure you, in no uncertain terms, jQuery assists dramatically.
Perhaps your library will become an even better choice for those in my
situation (for me, as a non-JS expert, once documented a bit better and
more sample code found to review can be found) and jQuery should have
followed the path you've taken to begin with -- but that still wouldn't
discount the value jQuery has provided.

Best regards