From: David Mark on
Tested IE5.5 and IE6 using that IETester thing as my other multi-IE box
crashed a week ago. Perfect (as expected). Can anyone else see a
problem in IE < 7?

http://www.cinsoft.net/taskspeed.html

Will update this post with an analysis of the code for the three tests
that were mentioned as failing recently (likely due to a fleeting
problem with a bad build). I have been adding new features daily for
about a week and there was at least one day where a bad bug made it onto
the server for a day or so. No idea why it would have led to a failure
in IE6 though. Perhaps an analysis of the code will tell. One thing is
for sure, asking the user to file a ticket will not tell anything. ;)
From: David Mark on
David Mark wrote:
> Tested IE5.5 and IE6 using that IETester thing as my other multi-IE box
> crashed a week ago. Perfect (as expected). Can anyone else see a
> problem in IE < 7?
>
> http://www.cinsoft.net/taskspeed.html

And same results for this one:-

http://scott.sauyet.com/Javascript/Test/taskspeed/2010-02-15a/

So, is IETester a complete crock or is Scott seeing things? There's
really no in-between. I don't mean to imply that Scott's vision is
impaired. Rather I suspect that IETester is impaired in some odd way
(and unfortunately it is my only option for testing IE < 7 at the moment).
From: S.T. on
On 2/18/2010 3:19 PM, David Mark wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
>> Tested IE5.5 and IE6 using that IETester thing as my other multi-IE box
>> crashed a week ago. Perfect (as expected). Can anyone else see a
>> problem in IE< 7?
>>
>> http://www.cinsoft.net/taskspeed.html
>>
> And same results for this one:-
>
> http://scott.sauyet.com/Javascript/Test/taskspeed/2010-02-15a/

No errors in either on IE6 on a WS 2003 box.

On your test My Library came in slightly behind PureDom, roughly the
same as qooxdoo and Dojo1.4, slightly ahead of jQuery 1.4 with the
remainder trailing quite a bit.

On Scott's test My Library was a little behind PureDom and YUI3, about
the same as jQuery 1.4 (alter), qooxdoo and Dojo 1.4 with the rest well
behind. PureDom was crushing all until it really stalled sethtml() and
eeked out a win. The jQuery 1.4(alter) was on pace to beat all except
PureDom until it crapped out on destroy() and ended up lumped with a
bunch of others in the ~5000ms range.

> So, is IETester a complete crock or is Scott seeing things? There's
> really no in-between. I don't mean to imply that Scott's vision is
> impaired. Rather I suspect that IETester is impaired in some odd way
> (and unfortunately it is my only option for testing IE< 7 at the moment).

I see essentially the same results (albeit at 3x faster) using IETester
on a substantially faster Win7 box versus the 'real' IE6 on an older
WS2003. Best I can tell IETester is accurately emulating native IE6. One
of the dojo tests threw an error on Scott's page, but that occurred on
both setups.

From: David Mark on
S.T. wrote:
> On 2/18/2010 3:19 PM, David Mark wrote:
>> David Mark wrote:
>>> Tested IE5.5 and IE6 using that IETester thing as my other multi-IE box
>>> crashed a week ago. Perfect (as expected). Can anyone else see a
>>> problem in IE< 7?
>>>
>>> http://www.cinsoft.net/taskspeed.html
>>>
>> And same results for this one:-
>>
>> http://scott.sauyet.com/Javascript/Test/taskspeed/2010-02-15a/
>
> No errors in either on IE6 on a WS 2003 box.

Thanks S.T.! I had one other report by email that it was fine on a
virtual PC and then there are my "IETester" results. Looking pretty
promising at this point. I am eager to hear what the beef was on
Scott's end (though I don't doubt that _something_ was going wrong there).

> On your test My Library came in slightly behind PureDom, roughly the
> same as qooxdoo and Dojo1.4, slightly ahead of jQuery 1.4 with the
> remainder trailing quite a bit.

Yep. I can confirm that is the typical result for IE < 7 and IE8
compatibility mode. Of course, jQuery is cheating beyond belief as they
call getAttribute with no attempt to determine if it will work (and it
often doesn't in these environments).

> On Scott's test My Library was a little behind PureDom and YUI3, about
> the same as jQuery 1.4 (alter), qooxdoo and Dojo 1.4 with the rest well
> behind. PureDom was crushing all until it really stalled sethtml() and
> eeked out a win. The jQuery 1.4(alter) was on pace to beat all except
> PureDom until it crapped out on destroy() and ended up lumped with a
> bunch of others in the ~5000ms range.

One other thing to keep in mind is that all of these (save for jQuery
1.4) rely on sniffing the UA string, so can't be assumed to work on
anything that wasn't tested _today_. ;)

>> So, is IETester a complete crock or is Scott seeing things? There's
>> really no in-between. I don't mean to imply that Scott's vision is
>> impaired. Rather I suspect that IETester is impaired in some odd way
>> (and unfortunately it is my only option for testing IE< 7 at the
>> moment).
>
> I see essentially the same results (albeit at 3x faster) using IETester
> on a substantially faster Win7 box versus the 'real' IE6 on an older
> WS2003. Best I can tell IETester is accurately emulating native IE6.

It seemed like it based on my observations. Did a fair job with 5.5 as
well. But Scott's results were giving me nagging doubts about the
veracity of IETester. I feel much better about it now. :)

> One
> of the dojo tests threw an error on Scott's page, but that occurred on
> both setups.

D'oh! It fails several of the SlickSpeed tests as well, even in the
very latest browsers (and it is hardly alone in that respect).

The problem I have with such efforts is exemplified by a response I saw
recently regarding an issue with their attr method. The user had used
some slightly older version of the framework and found that their app
broke in IE8. The first thing out of the mouth of the responder was
"that version never _claimed_ to support IE8". That about sums it up,
doesn't it? That's the mindset and it is completely out of step with
sound cross-browser scripting practices.

If a script can't survive from one version of IE (or any major browser)
to the next, what possible shot does it have with older, unknown or
otherwise "unsupported" browsers. As Richard has said, such
multi-browser scripts can only be _expected_ to work in environments
where they have been _demonstrated_ to work (paraphrasing and emphasis
is mine). Taken to the extreme, due to the seemingly constant browser
revisions and automated delivery mechanisms such as Windows Update, you
really can't feel confident in anything you haven't tested _today_. And
seeing as IE - for example - has more configuration permutations than
can be tested in one lifetime, understanding and logic has to win out
over confused hacking by empirical observation. ;)

But I digress. Thanks again for your input. It is _much_ appreciated
(and would have been even if the results had gone the other way). :)
From: Andrew Poulos on
On 19/02/2010 10:19 AM, David Mark wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
>> Tested IE5.5 and IE6 using that IETester thing as my other multi-IE box
>> crashed a week ago. Perfect (as expected). Can anyone else see a
>> problem in IE< 7?
>>
>> http://www.cinsoft.net/taskspeed.html
>>

> And same results for this one:-
>
> http://scott.sauyet.com/Javascript/Test/taskspeed/2010-02-15a/
>
> So, is IETester a complete crock or is Scott seeing things? There's
> really no in-between. I don't mean to imply that Scott's vision is
> impaired. Rather I suspect that IETester is impaired in some odd way
> (and unfortunately it is my only option for testing IE< 7 at the moment).

Under IE 6 on Win XP the bind selector caused the My Library cell to go red:

781 844
msfound

though all the libraries found 844 items.

Times:

jquery 1.4.1 (alter) came in at 2833
mylib 2862
mylib (qsa) 2102
mylib (alter) 2534
prototype 1.6.0.3 came in at 30,825 with tonnes of errors.

Andrew Poulos