From: James on
I am trying to help someone who is using Internet Explorer 8, Windows
XP Pro. but when they click on "My Pictures" it does not show the
images in the folder, but only the URLs of the images. How can that be
changed so it will show the images in the My Pictures folder?

Thanks
James
From: RobertVA on
On 5/14/2010 9:52 PM, James wrote:
> I am trying to help someone who is using Internet Explorer 8, Windows
> XP Pro. but when they click on "My Pictures" it does not show the
> images in the folder, but only the URLs of the images. How can that be
> changed so it will show the images in the My Pictures folder?
>
> Thanks
> James

Does the window have the lower case "e" icon for the Internet Explorer
browser or the file folder with a picture sticking out of it that
indicates the window is generated by the Windows Explorer file
management application? You should be seeing the Windows Explorer icon.
You should also be getting a pane with a blue background in the left
side of the Windows Explorer window with options for things like "View
as a slide show" and "Copy all items to a CD"

Windows Explorer has different display views. Look for a pull down on
its tool bar that features an icon that looks like a miniature of the
window. The Filmstrip and Thumbnail views will show miniature versions
of the graphics in the folder. The same view options should be available
in the second section of Windows Explorer's View menu.

Note that the title bar icon for Windows Explorer might have other
things protruding from the file folder or just a file folder when it's
displaying other folders on your hard drive. When showing "My Computer"
Windows Explorer might even show an icon depicting a CRT equiped
computer system.

The browser will usually include "- Windows Internet Explorer" after the
page title defined by the web site developer. When displaying a page or
graphic on YOUR computer the title bar will display the file path and
file name (space permiting).
From: James on
On May 15, 1:16 am, RobertVA <robert_c72athotm...(a)invalid.com> wrote:
> On 5/14/2010 9:52 PM, James wrote:
>
> > I am trying to help someone who is using Internet Explorer 8, Windows
> > XP Pro. but when they click on "My Pictures" it does not show the
> > images in the folder, but only the URLs of the images. How can that be
> > changed so it will show the images in the My Pictures folder?
>
> > Thanks
> > James
>
> Does the window have the lower case "e" icon for the Internet Explorer
> browser or the file folder with a picture sticking out of it that
> indicates the window is generated by the Windows Explorer file
> management application? You should be seeing the Windows Explorer icon.
> You should also be getting a pane with a blue background in the left
> side of the Windows Explorer window with options for things like "View
> as a slide show" and "Copy all items to a CD"
>
> Windows Explorer has different display views. Look for a pull down on
> its tool bar that features an icon that looks like a miniature of the
> window. The Filmstrip and Thumbnail views will show miniature versions
> of the graphics in the folder. The same view options should be available
> in the second section of Windows Explorer's View menu.
>
> Note that the title bar icon for Windows Explorer might have other
> things protruding from the file folder or just a file folder when it's
> displaying other folders on your hard drive. When showing "My Computer"
> Windows Explorer might even show an icon depicting a CRT equiped
> computer system.
>
> The browser will usually include "- Windows Internet Explorer" after the
> page title defined by the web site developer. When displaying a page or
> graphic on YOUR computer the title bar will display the file path and
> file name (space permiting).

Maybe I didn't explain this well e enough. When you click on My
Pictures in the Start menu, the window showing the thumbnails doesn't
appear-so I never get the window with the images, I only get a list of
urls-and we need to see the window in My Pictures containing the
images.

James
From: RobertVA on
On 5/15/2010 10:43 AM, James wrote:
> On May 15, 1:16 am, RobertVA<robert_c72athotm...(a)invalid.com> wrote:
>> On 5/14/2010 9:52 PM, James wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to help someone who is using Internet Explorer 8, Windows
>>> XP Pro. but when they click on "My Pictures" it does not show the
>>> images in the folder, but only the URLs of the images. How can that be
>>> changed so it will show the images in the My Pictures folder?
>>
>>> Thanks
>>> James
>>
>> Does the window have the lower case "e" icon for the Internet Explorer
>> browser or the file folder with a picture sticking out of it that
>> indicates the window is generated by the Windows Explorer file
>> management application? You should be seeing the Windows Explorer icon.
>> You should also be getting a pane with a blue background in the left
>> side of the Windows Explorer window with options for things like "View
>> as a slide show" and "Copy all items to a CD"
>>
>> Windows Explorer has different display views. Look for a pull down on
>> its tool bar that features an icon that looks like a miniature of the
>> window. The Filmstrip and Thumbnail views will show miniature versions
>> of the graphics in the folder. The same view options should be available
>> in the second section of Windows Explorer's View menu.
>>
>> Note that the title bar icon for Windows Explorer might have other
>> things protruding from the file folder or just a file folder when it's
>> displaying other folders on your hard drive. When showing "My Computer"
>> Windows Explorer might even show an icon depicting a CRT equiped
>> computer system.
>>
>> The browser will usually include "- Windows Internet Explorer" after the
>> page title defined by the web site developer. When displaying a page or
>> graphic on YOUR computer the title bar will display the file path and
>> file name (space permiting).
>
> Maybe I didn't explain this well e enough. When you click on My
> Pictures in the Start menu, the window showing the thumbnails doesn't
> appear-so I never get the window with the images, I only get a list of
> urls-and we need to see the window in My Pictures containing the
> images.
>
> James

Please respond with information about which application (Windows
Explorer or Internet Explorer) is displaying the "URLs". You should be
able to use the information I provided earlier about title bar icons,
text on the title bar ( is "- Windows Internet Explorer" present?) and
the presence or not of that list of options on the left side of the
window to determine which application is generating the window.

While they both utilize some of the same code libraries, Windows
Explorer and Internet Explorer are certainly two different applications.

Normally clicking "My Pictures" results in a Windows Explorer window. In
many of the views the listing contains the file names of the pictures
(like "dcs00132.jpg" or "clouds.bmp"). Depending on the active "view"
the window may also contain icons representing the application that will
be used to open or edit the picture OR a reduced size "thumbnail"
version of the picture. Many people would reserve the term "URL" for
pictures and other files stored on a remote computer like a web site.
"My Pictures" would normally be on your computer's hard drive.

Internet Explorer normally displays a single picture (often with a file
name ending with .jpg or .gif). or a web page. A web page displayed in
Internet Explorer MIGHT display a list of pictures and/or URLs, but
clicking "My Pictures" normally doesn't result in the display of a web page.

It IS possible for Windows Explorer to list the file names in a folder
(pictures or other types) without displaying thumbnails or the larger
version of the application associated with the file. That situation
would normally be a result of using list or details view. If your
computer is using Windows Explorer the information in my earlier post
explains how to switch to Thumbnails view.
From: James on
On May 15, 11:10 am, RobertVA <robert_c72athotm...(a)invalid.com> wrote:
> [...]
> pictures and other files stored on a remote computer like a web site.
> "My Pictures" would normally be on your computer's hard drive.
>
> Internet Explorer normally displays a single picture (often with a file
> name ending with .jpg or .gif). or a web page. A web page displayed in
> Internet Explorer MIGHT display a list of pictures and/or URLs, but
> clicking "My Pictures" normally doesn't result in the display of a web page.
>
> It IS possible for Windows Explorer to list the file names in a folder
> (pictures or other types) without displaying thumbnails or the larger
> version of the application associated with the file. That situation
> would normally be a result of using list or details view. If your
> computer is using Windows Explorer the information in my earlier post
> explains how to switch to Thumbnails view.- Hide quoted text -

If I click on START> MY PICTURES-I do not get the window with showing -
instead I only get a list of URLs beside where I clicked on my
pictures in the start menu. How do I make the My Pictures window
appear with the images.

Thanks
James