From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 19:04:01 -0400, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote:

>I thought I'd provide a bit of context for my Shoot-In submissions this month.

I'm snipping here, but that's because I'm tired to having to scroll
through long posts to get to replies.

I love it when photographs tell a story or have a story behind them.
Ideally, the photograph itself should contain all or part of the
story, but sometimes that's not possible. Short of a balloon and
arrow to "Bob's room" at the hospital, it just can't be done
sometimes.

I enjoyed the gravestone stories. My one complaint about that image
was that I couldn't find a hint of the story in what was shown, but I
knew one was there.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Robert Coe on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 20:09:20 -0400, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net>
wrote:
: I enjoyed the gravestone stories. My one complaint about that image
: was that I couldn't find a hint of the story in what was shown, but I
: knew one was there.

Yeah, I had to use Google to fill in the blanks. Then I had to try to figure
out which of the blatantly contradictory assertions I found were right and
which were wrong.

More on this yarn: I of course realized that the stones were hard to read, so
I went back a few days ago and tried to remedy that by photographing them
again face-on. But the light was too flat, and the new pictures came out
generally worse than the original. But in culling those pictures this morning,
I discovered that the "urn & willow" motif on Kneeland's *wife's* stone (which
I knew about) also represents a face, which I didn't know. The representation
is radically different from the one on Kneeland's stone, but I don't think
there's any doubt that it's there. Another visit is obviously required.

Bob
From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 21:12:00 -0400, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 20:09:20 -0400, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net>
>wrote:
>: I enjoyed the gravestone stories. My one complaint about that image
>: was that I couldn't find a hint of the story in what was shown, but I
>: knew one was there.
>
>Yeah, I had to use Google to fill in the blanks. Then I had to try to figure
>out which of the blatantly contradictory assertions I found were right and
>which were wrong.
>
>More on this yarn: I of course realized that the stones were hard to read, so
>I went back a few days ago and tried to remedy that by photographing them
>again face-on. But the light was too flat, and the new pictures came out
>generally worse than the original. But in culling those pictures this morning,
>I discovered that the "urn & willow" motif on Kneeland's *wife's* stone (which
>I knew about) also represents a face, which I didn't know. The representation
>is radically different from the one on Kneeland's stone, but I don't think
>there's any doubt that it's there. Another visit is obviously required.

I know I get hung up on things like this. If there's history, I want
to know it.

In another post, SavageDuck linked to a photo of an old motorcycle.
Evidently a racing bike with that number badge on the front fender. I
want to know what make and when it was made.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida