From: Robert Montgomery on
Are there any compact, lightweight cameras that have both a good
telephoto capability (i.e. ten times zoom) and a viewfinder?

I can find compact, lightweight cameras with ten times zoom, and compact
lightweight cameras with viewfinders.

But I have yet to find a camera that has all of these characteristics:
� compact
� lightweight
� has at least a seven times zoom lens AND
� has a viewfinder.

I can hardly see the image on the monitors of cameras on sunny days
because of all the light and glare � both in shooting mode and playback
mode.

It seems to me that any camera lacking a viewfinder is a camera for
amateurs. And I don't understand why even amateurs wouldn't be bothered
by this problem.

I can't understand why consumers don't demand viewfinders.

I was even told by a clerk at a photography store that viewfinders are
less frequent on the new cameras!

Robert
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-07-21 07:00:07 -0700, Robert Montgomery
<info-block(a)northern-data-tech.net> said:

> Are there any compact, lightweight cameras that have both a good
> telephoto capability (i.e. ten times zoom) and a viewfinder?
>
> I can find compact, lightweight cameras with ten times zoom, and
> compact lightweight cameras with viewfinders.
>
> But I have yet to find a camera that has all of these characteristics:
> • compact
> • lightweight
> • has at least a seven times zoom lens AND
> • has a viewfinder.
>
> I can hardly see the image on the monitors of cameras on sunny days
> because of all the light and glare – both in shooting mode and playback
> mode.
>
> It seems to me that any camera lacking a viewfinder is a camera for
> amateurs. And I don't understand why even amateurs wouldn't be bothered
> by this problem.
>
> I can't understand why consumers don't demand viewfinders.
>
> I was even told by a clerk at a photography store that viewfinders are
> less frequent on the new cameras!
>
> Robert

Well, if you will settle for 5X "optical zoom" there is the Canon G11.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: David J Taylor on
> On 2010-07-21 07:00:07 -0700, Robert Montgomery
> <info-block(a)northern-data-tech.net> said:
>
>> Are there any compact, lightweight cameras that have both a good
>> telephoto capability (i.e. ten times zoom) and a viewfinder?
>>
>> I can find compact, lightweight cameras with ten times zoom, and
>> compact lightweight cameras with viewfinders.
>>
>> But I have yet to find a camera that has all of these characteristics:
>> • compact
>> • lightweight
>> • has at least a seven times zoom lens AND
>> • has a viewfinder.
>>
>> I can hardly see the image on the monitors of cameras on sunny days
>> because of all the light and glare – both in shooting mode and playback
>> mode.
>>
>> It seems to me that any camera lacking a viewfinder is a camera for
>> amateurs. And I don't understand why even amateurs wouldn't be bothered
>> by this problem.
>>
>> I can't understand why consumers don't demand viewfinders.
>>
>> I was even told by a clerk at a photography store that viewfinders are
>> less frequent on the new cameras!
>>
>> Robert
>
> Well, if you will settle for 5X "optical zoom" there is the Canon G11.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

... or if you settle for less lightweight and less compact many DSLRs can
be used with an 11x zoom (18-200mm) and have an optical viewfinder.

David

From: Rich on
On Jul 21, 10:00 am, Robert Montgomery <info-bl...(a)northern-data-
tech.net> wrote:
> Are there any compact, lightweight cameras that have both a good
> telephoto capability (i.e. ten times zoom) and  a viewfinder?
>
> I can find compact, lightweight cameras with ten times zoom, and compact
> lightweight cameras with viewfinders.
>
> But I have yet to find a camera that has all of these characteristics:
> • compact
> • lightweight
> • has at least a seven times zoom lens AND
> • has a viewfinder.
>
> I can hardly see the image on the monitors of cameras on sunny days
> because of all the light and glare – both in shooting mode and playback
> mode.
>
> It seems to me that any camera lacking a viewfinder is a camera for
> amateurs. And I don't understand why even amateurs wouldn't be bothered
> by this problem.
>
> I can't understand why consumers don't demand viewfinders.
>
> I was even told by a clerk at a photography store that viewfinders are
> less frequent on the new cameras!
>
> Robert

Check out the latest P&S offerings on Dpreview.

www.dpreview.com
From: Irwell on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 14:00:07 GMT, Robert Montgomery wrote:

> Are there any compact, lightweight cameras that have both a good
> telephoto capability (i.e. ten times zoom) and a viewfinder?

The LCD is a viewfinder, you can always use a collapsible
hood to obviate the sun wash-out and glare.