From: C A Upsdell on
John Hosking wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:01:45 -0500, C A Upsdell wrote:
>
>> You can fix the scrollbar validation issue by using Microsoft
>> conditional comments, putting the scrollbar CSS in a CSS file which is
>> loaded only when the browser is IE.
>
> Which, technically, doesn't improve the true validity, only hides it in
> certain circumstances.

It *does* make the page valid: the LINK which loads the special CSS
file will be seen by a validator as a comment, and comments are valid.

From: Johannes Koch on
C A Upsdell schrieb:
> John Hosking wrote:
>> On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:01:45 -0500, C A Upsdell wrote:
>>
>>> You can fix the scrollbar validation issue by using Microsoft
>>> conditional comments, putting the scrollbar CSS in a CSS file which
>>> is loaded only when the browser is IE.
>>
>> Which, technically, doesn't improve the true validity, only hides it in
>> certain circumstances.
>
> It *does* make the page valid: the LINK which loads the special CSS
> file will be seen by a validator as a comment, and comments are valid.

So the HTML may be valid, but the CSS is not.

--
Johannes Koch
(Te Deum, 4th cent.)
From: C A Upsdell on
Johannes Koch wrote:
> C A Upsdell schrieb:
>> John Hosking wrote:

>>> Which, technically, doesn't improve the true validity, only hides it in
>>> certain circumstances.
>>
>> It *does* make the page valid: the LINK which loads the special CSS
>> file will be seen by a validator as a comment, and comments are valid.
>
> So the HTML may be valid, but the CSS is not.

Sigh. Try it yourself. I can assure you that a CSS validator will say
that the CSS is valid ... because the validator does not care what is
within comments.

From: Johannes Koch on
C A Upsdell schrieb:
> Johannes Koch wrote:
>> C A Upsdell schrieb:

>>> It *does* make the page valid: the LINK which loads the special CSS
>>> file will be seen by a validator as a comment, and comments are valid.
>>
>> So the HTML may be valid, but the CSS is not.
>
> Sigh. Try it yourself. I can assure you that a CSS validator will say
> that the CSS is valid ... because the validator does not care what is
> within comments.

Yes, it's currently commented out using _CSS_ comments. So it won't be
applied. Your advice was to use _Microsoft conditional_ comments, which
just hides the referenced or included CSS from conforming browsers but
doesn't make the referenced or included CSS valid. That was the point.

--
Johannes Koch
(Te Deum, 4th cent.)
From: C A Upsdell on
Johannes Koch wrote:
> C A Upsdell schrieb:
>> Johannes Koch wrote:

>>> So the HTML may be valid, but the CSS is not.
>>
>> Sigh. Try it yourself. I can assure you that a CSS validator will
>> say that the CSS is valid ... because the validator does not care what
>> is within comments.
>
> Yes, it's currently commented out using _CSS_ comments. So it won't be
> applied. Your advice was to use _Microsoft conditional_ comments, which
> just hides the referenced or included CSS from conforming browsers but
> doesn't make the referenced or included CSS valid. That was the point.

What we have here is a failure to communicate. I will waste no more
time trying to get this point through your thick skull.