From: rf on

"Roy A." <royarneskar(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> SGML is dead. XML is taking over for SGML. The OP should aim for the
> future instead.

Did you tell that to the boys over at Microsoft? Does their browser now, or
will it ever, support XHTML?

> Even if the page is parsed as "broken HTML", the resulting DOM should
> be okay.

*should* != *will be*.

From: Roy A. on
On 3 Jan, 00:43, "rf" <r...(a)z.invalid> wrote:
> "Roy A." <royarnes...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > SGML is dead. XML is taking over for SGML. The OP should aim for the
> > future instead.
>
> Did you tell that to the boys over at Microsoft? Does their browser now, or
> will it ever, support XHTML?
>
> > Even if the page is parsed as "broken HTML", the resulting DOM should
> > be okay.
>
> *should* != *will be*.

Should in this case is = *will be*.
From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
Mason C wrote:

> Eric <eric(a)ericlindsay.com> wrote:
>> Your page is written as valid XHTML, however it is served as
>> parsed as broken HTML (since it is not actually HTML). You may want
>> to consider HTML Strict.
>
> I don't understand this. What does it mean: "served as
> my head.

See this and view the three test pages in IE:
http://tekrider.net/html/doctype.php

--
-bts
From: Mason C on
On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 11:41:41 -0500, Harlan Messinger <hmessinger.removethis(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>"Choose your topic Press a button". "TAP to see the Table of Contents of
>this book". I'm guessing that your site is targeted to idiots, people so
>vapid that they need to be told what to do with things on web pages that
>most of us recognize immediately as links and buttons. Be assured:
>anyone who sees this and *isn't* an idiot is going to wonder why you're
>insulting their intelligence.

I am not impressed by the human intelligence, being myself a god.

>"Increase font", "Decrease font". Is there some reason your users need
>you to replace their built-in browser function?

I've examined that function in 4-5 most popular browsers and concluded
that buttons on the screen will be helpful to some viewers. If they do
no harm I'll keep them. What is obvious to us gods may not be to some
elderly viewers.

>"Homosexuality: Causes and Cures": can we expect a sequel,
>"Left-handedness: Causes and Cures"? Oh, but this gets back to your
>target audience: see my comment above about idiots.

You probably did not know that the left thumbs of left handed people are
wider at the base than their right thumbs -- and from the age of three months.

And you certainly do not know the causes and cures of homosexuality.

This book, written in 1978, is still the most comprehensive, scientific
dissertation on those subjects. You might use Amazon's "see inside
the book" to learn that. The "cures" part panics some people and
rightly so. As I explained to one of the world authorities, at the time
the book was written some 70% of psychiatrists would offer to cure
homosexuality. That is no longer the case, but the idea of "cure"
still requires condemnation for the idiots (mostly Republicans).

oh oh, now I've done it !

Thanks for your comments regarding the web page design,

Mason C
From: Mason C on
On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 10:57:27 GMT, "rf" <rf(a)z.invalid> wrote:

>http://barefile.com.au/centre.html to center my page on the screen.

rf: Your help has eliminated my horizontal scroll (the large max-width?) but
I still need margin-left: 222px; to get it off the left edge and into the center.

With the scroll gone, I'm happy. The page is horizontally liquid ( I think is the term).

Thanks for the help,

Mason C