From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
Mason C wrote:

> I was about to give up on css layout but Beauregard led me to
>
> "Study this template:
> http://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/ultimate-3-column-holy-grail-ems.htm "
>
> and I've adopted it. Maybe ruined it?

Yes.

--
-bts
From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
John Hosking wrote:

> Mason C wrote:
>> I was about to give up on css layout but Beauregard led me to
>>
>> "Study this template:
>> http://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/ultimate-3-column-holy-grail-ems.htm "
>>
>> and I've adopted it. Maybe ruined it?
>
> Well, you didn't hurt Matthew James Taylor's page, so don't feel bad
> about *that*. OTOH, you didn't do him any favors with your
> implementation (or "credit" for same). ;-)

Oh, I missed that, way down at the bottom. If I were Matthew, I'd order
Mason to remove all references to credit.

>> problems with the user font-sizing buttons?
>
> 1. They exist.
> 2. They don't look like buttons. (And I only saw them because I
> deliberately looked for them, which I did only because you asked
> about them. They are *well* camoflaged against that outrageous BG
> graphic.)
> 3. They didn't work when I had JS off.

4. Using percentages or em units for font size, the 'buttons' and script
are not necessary at all. In fact, the script appears to change the font
size to some number of 'pixels'.

--
-bts
From: dorayme on
In article <hhkrds$33q$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote:

> Mason C wrote:
>
> > I was about to give up on css layout but Beauregard led me to
> >
> > "Study this template:
> > http://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/ultimate-3-column-holy-grail-ems.htm "
> >
> > and I've adopted it. Maybe ruined it?
>
> Yes.

It was dangerous advice, albeit well-meaning, to be given in the first
place. It is not like you are a thirsty horse and matthewjamestaylor a
simple trough of clean water.

--
dorayme
From: Josef Feit on
On 01/01/2010 05:23 PM, John Hosking wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 00:22:39 -0800, Mason C wrote:
> I believe it. My monitor here is currently 1280x1024, some number of inches
> across, and I can't get rid of the horizontal scrollbar, even if I maximize
> my browser, which I usually never want/need to do. So yes, problems.
My monitor is HP LP3065 2560 x 1600 px and the horizontal scollbar
persists even if maximized; no fancy effects visible (Firefox 3.5.6).
The % dim setup is probably wrong.

JF
From: John Hosking on
On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 18:01:45 -0500, C A Upsdell wrote:

> You can fix the scrollbar validation issue by using Microsoft
> conditional comments, putting the scrollbar CSS in a CSS file which is
> loaded only when the browser is IE.

Which, technically, doesn't improve the true validity, only hides it in
certain circumstances.

--
John
Not like anyone in certain circumstances actually cares.