From: demuler on
I am seeking freeware which will read my exif data. This photo doesn't
work on my regular exif reader.

http://a.imagehost.org/0210/de_Menezes.jpg

-hb-
(the REAL hummingbird)
--
"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed,

From: Martin Brown on
On 01/07/2010 13:24, demuler wrote:
> I am seeking freeware which will read my exif data. This photo doesn't
> work on my regular exif reader.
>
> http://a.imagehost.org/0210/de_Menezes.jpg

You can only read EXIF data if there is some present!

This image is a progressive JPEG compressed with IJG Q=85

No embedded Exif data is included - so it isn't too surprising that your
Exif reader cannot do much with it.

Regards,
Martin Brown
From: Tim Conway on

"demuler" <ravierboy(a)bromidosis.com> wrote in message
>I am seeking freeware which will read my exif data. This photo doesn't
> work on my regular exif reader.
>
> http://a.imagehost.org/0210/de_Menezes.jpg

Some photo editing software will strip the exif data when saving such as
Photoshop CS's "save for web" feature.

From: Tim on
demuler wrote:
> I am seeking freeware which will read my exif data. This photo doesn't
> work on my regular exif reader.
>
> http://a.imagehost.org/0210/de_Menezes.jpg
>

> -hb-
> (the REAL hummingbird)

That photo has no EXIF data.
You'll notice that as the image loads it starts as a coarse and blurry image
and becomes more detailed in a couple of stages. This indicates that it is a
progressive JPEG. The applications that I have that give the option to save
as a progressive JPEG, don't allow EXIF metadata to be saved in that format,
only in the standard format.
Many web images are deliberately saved without EXIF or other metadata,
partly for privacy reasons, but mainly to keep the file size down for fast
downloading. Your sample image could easily be more than twice its current
filesize if it contained a full set of metadata including EXIF and an
embedded thumbnail.

From: -ART- on
Tim wrote:

>That photo has no EXIF data.

Correct. The photo belongs to a friend of mine (Hummingbird), - not
ACF's "Franklin the forger" who pinched the picture and started this
thread and signed it as Hummingbird to aggravate people.

FYI: the FREE version of PhotoFiltre can save jpeg images as
progressive AND retain the EXIF data (see program preferences):

<http://photofiltre.free.fr/frames_en.htm>

>You'll notice that as the image loads it starts as a coarse and blurry
>image and becomes more detailed in a couple of stages. This indicates
>that it is a progressive JPEG. The applications that I have that give
>the option to save as a progressive JPEG, don't allow EXIF metadata to
>be saved in that format, only in the standard format.
>Many web images are deliberately saved without EXIF or other metadata,
>partly for privacy reasons, but mainly to keep the file size down for
>fast downloading. Your sample image could easily be more than twice its
>current filesize if it contained a full set of metadata including EXIF
>and an embedded thumbnail.

-ART-