From: gerheim on
As long as we're sharing HP Calc stories...
About 3 days before my Master's Comps in EE, I discovered that my TI
SR-51 was giving me bad scoop. It actually came up with the wrong
answer on the sinh function, only when plugged in. This was enough.
No telling what was going on in the chips, so...

Luckily, the campus bookstore was open the friday after thanksgiving
(IIRC), and I got an HP-25 programmable. Legendary machine. Huddled
with the machine for the rest of the weekend. I broke the curve on the
Comprehensive exam, and I was asked to please consider the PhD program.
And that's why they call me Dr. G!

Other machines:
29C Continuous memory a big plus

41 Whole new concept. Plenty of memory, but hard to manage with
the mag cards, etc...

48S The symbolic algebra was too slow to be really useful. Finally, a
screen big enough to _say_something_! Lots of fun with this baby!

49G+ This is the machine. My only beef with it (and the 50G for that
matter) is the inability to talk to serial devices. I could do a lot
with either machine if I could only talk to a GPS receiver and/or a
Kenwood TH-D7A(G) Data Radio. Please don't tell me about the serial
port on the 50G!

From: Veli-Pekka Nousiainen on
gerheim(a)cox.net wrote:
> 49G+ This is the machine. My only beef with it (and the 50G for that
> matter) is the inability to talk to serial devices. I could do a lot
> with either machine if I could only talk to a GPS receiver and/or a
> Kenwood TH-D7A(G) Data Radio. Please don't tell me about the serial
> port on the 50G!

There will be solution from 3rd party...

My 1st programmable was HP-25, too
I hate when they released the 25C soon after
I remember skipping the wonderful 29C and got the 34C instead
Now *that* was a machine with numerical solver & integrator
simply marvellous
When I finally got the 41C (tuesday),
I founf the memory too small
and the seller let me upgrade to 41CV (thursday)
Yes, I was not an early adopter
that was an expensive piece of hardware (and firmware)
28S was my first (or was it the earlier C model?) symbolic device
Then 48SX, I skipped the GX and
aquired it AFTER 49G weas introduced eg. year 2000
Oh, I almost forgot that I had 11C, 15C, 16C and sold them all
I only managed to get the 16C back
I also owned and sold 71B & 75C
but I managed to buy replacements later
(2000 was a good year or was it 2001)

There are some business models that my bride uses
17BII+ and 18C and a few others
I also have 32S, SII, 33S
but I rarely use them
My main machine is the new 50G (without 3rd party serial cable)

Tim Wessman - are you in business selling them?
what if Radix Oy (Finnish distributoir) wan'ts to buy a few dozen?

Does anybody know a source for serial cables for the 50G
???

From: TW on
> My main machine is the new 50G (without 3rd party serial cable)
>
> Tim Wessman - are you in business selling them?
> what if Radix Oy (Finnish distributoir) wan'ts to buy a few dozen?

Not yet. Once we get the full unit sales going (this week) we'll have
some cash to cover the bills and start investing in other projects.

http://www.pssllc.com/pics/cases1.jpg (stack of cases)
http://www.pssllc.com/mb/viewtopic.php?t=131 (pic of a stack of ready
to go units :-)

We'll be happy to sell them to anyone that wants when we get it done.
If someone else does it first, thats fine we me as well.

TW

From: user on
Well I too have just taken delivery of a new HP50g. My existing HP
calc is an original HP12c but I so have a recent TI calc too. I
remember lusting after the HP65 (or was it HP67) when I left school in
1976 but couldn't afford it at the time.
I'm not sure what to make of the HP50 so far....... A poor analogy
would be that the TI is like a MacOS computer: a bit quirky but really
quite ok. The HP50 by comparison seems like a Linux system.
I shall work methodically through it as far as I can but it is rather
cryptic and scary to the un-initiated. The keyboard is ok but I must
say that the TI Voyage 200 has a quality of construction like the old
old days of HP but the HP50 is by comparison cheaper feeling. The HP's
of the mid 70's just oozed quality and the new model just doesn't at
all. I hope I don't "crash" it too many times when learning and
experimenting with it. I've already found myself cut-off down a
cul-de-sac a few times today leaving me reaching for the paperclip!
Chris
From: nospam on
On 5 Nov 2006 20:58:31 -0800, "Brion" <bkeller(a)stny.rr.com> wrote:
>I bought an HP-67 at the end of summer in 1976 and it took about 1/3 of
>my summer work savings to pay $450 for it.
Couldn't resist adding that you must have been looking at the HP-67
the same time as me though as a recent school leaver in England I was
earning only about $30 a week, so the HP-67 was but a dream. I also
lusted after a Leica R3 and that was an equally hopeless proposition.
I add my thanks to all who contribute to this group as I've been
reading it for a while and must have learned from it.
Chris