From: matt on
Hello.
At the age of 38 I have just bought an HP 50g.
I always wanted an HP after I heard they could do symbolic calculations
- very nice.
My TI-85 has served me well over the years but money (and desire) was
available so after much googling for research purposes I got one.
So whats all this about RPN being 'hard'? After a few minutes of
initial discomfort, the advantages become clear, not only for entering
calculations, but also for finding your way around the calculator (e.g.
units conversion is just plain ugly in ALG).
So I'm just amazed as what this little machine can do. Even real-time
rotation of 3D-plots (something Mathematica still can't do! But OK they
look a lot nicer in hi-res colour).
And I want to thank all the people on this newsgroup because I've
learnt so much just by reading your posts. Very informative and full of
good links to helpful websites.
Well I'm just so happy right now with my new 'toy'.
Cheerio.

Matt

From: Virgil on
In article <1162772146.980207.134960(a)h54g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"matt" <matthew-is-who-i-am(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
> At the age of 38 I have just bought an HP 50g.
> I always wanted an HP after I heard they could do symbolic calculations
> - very nice.
> My TI-85 has served me well over the years but money (and desire) was
> available so after much googling for research purposes I got one.
> So whats all this about RPN being 'hard'? After a few minutes of
> initial discomfort, the advantages become clear, not only for entering
> calculations, but also for finding your way around the calculator (e.g.
> units conversion is just plain ugly in ALG).
> So I'm just amazed as what this little machine can do. Even real-time
> rotation of 3D-plots (something Mathematica still can't do! But OK they
> look a lot nicer in hi-res colour).
> And I want to thank all the people on this newsgroup because I've
> learnt so much just by reading your posts. Very informative and full of
> good links to helpful websites.
> Well I'm just so happy right now with my new 'toy'.
> Cheerio.
>
> Matt

Your welcome! Enjoy!
From: Han on
Congratulations on your new purchase! With so many positive responses
to the 50G, I believe you will grow ever more fond of the machine the
more you use it. It certainly was the case for me and the HP48 series!

Han

From: Brion on
matt,

I got my first HP calc when I was 18 after my freshman year at college.
I bought an HP-67 at the end of summer in 1976 and it took about 1/3 of
my summer work savings to pay $450 for it. I loved that calc and it
eventually convinced me to change majors from Chemical Engr to CompSci
with minor in ChemE. Battery charge lasted only about 3 hours, but I
abused that calc and it never quit on me. After graduating, I bought
the successor, an HP-41C to help me hold off the urge to buy an Apple
II - it kept me from buying a computer for about 6 months.

Back then we only had a real mail user newsletter. Those older calcs
were great for their time, but the HP-50g is so much more powerful, yet
the batteries last for months.I still prefer the shape and feel of the
keys on the old HP calcs, but I wouldn't want to pay $450 for it now
either (something has to give to get these calcs so comparitively
inexspensive)!

I got back into calcs only within the last few years as my 4 kids
needed them for high school and college. I discovered it was difficult
to locate a store that sold HP calcs and all the teachers and
professors my kids have *require* the use of TI calcs. We now own 1
TI-86, 3 TI-89 Titaniums, 1 HP-39g+ and two HP-49g+ calcs. I always
liked RPN stacks and have used the concept in several programming
projects at work over the years. It makes me mad that students and
parents are effectively forced to buy a particular brand of calc - not
that the TI calcs are bad.

Choice is good and you should feel good that you have made a wise
choice.

From: Zeno on
In article <1162772146.980207.134960(a)h54g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
matt <matthew-is-who-i-am(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
> At the age of 38 I have just bought an HP 50g.
> I always wanted an HP after I heard they could do symbolic calculations
> - very nice.
> My TI-85 has served me well over the years but money (and desire) was
> available so after much googling for research purposes I got one.
> So whats all this about RPN being 'hard'? After a few minutes of
> initial discomfort, the advantages become clear, not only for entering
> calculations, but also for finding your way around the calculator (e.g.
> units conversion is just plain ugly in ALG).
> So I'm just amazed as what this little machine can do. Even real-time
> rotation of 3D-plots (something Mathematica still can't do! But OK they
> look a lot nicer in hi-res colour).
> And I want to thank all the people on this newsgroup because I've
> learnt so much just by reading your posts. Very informative and full of
> good links to helpful websites.
> Well I'm just so happy right now with my new 'toy'.
> Cheerio.
>
> Matt

Mathematica version 4 has a Real Time 3D rotation feature. the command
to load the package is

<< RealTime3D`

It was in version 4 for Windows and Macinstosh but not for Unix
platforms howeveer.

It was called an "experimental" package in version 4, I am presuming
its still available in verison 5. I use veriosn 4.2.