From: sigma3 on
I have a Gateway 340UA that is about three years old and has been
reliable until maybe 2 or 3 months ago, when it started to fail to
boot up, but intermittently. I would have to do a reset by holding
the
power key down for five seconds, and then try again. Sometimes it
might take two or three attempts, sometimes a lot more. After one
attempt took more than (I guess) 80 or 90 goes before it started, I
decided to see what I could do to improve it.

I run regular diagnostics, defrag the hard drive, run check disc, run
RamRush to optimise memory all of the time, use CCleaner to clean
junk
and registry almost daily (I probably Thursday of this week ituse the
laptop for at least six hours a day). I also defrag the registry, and
check for anti spyware regularly even though my anti virus is
permanently updated and the firewall is always on.

So I decided to backup all of my data, and do a clean install of
Windows 7 Professional. I also upgraded the RAM to 3gb at the same
time.

Almost immediately I noticed that the problem hadn't gone away, but
it
was a little less frequent, and obviously a clean hard drive and
registry improved boot up times.

On Thursday of this week, I was partway through some work when the
screen went blank, and nothing could bring it back, even though the
web page that I was on was playing a news item so I know the laptop
was still working.

Eventually, I had to try to bring up the Task Manager, and that was
when it died completely. I must have tried two hundred times to get
it
to start without any success. The Windows 7 recovery disc doesn't
help, all that happens when I try to start is that the hard drive
light flickers for a small fraction of a second, then nothing. If the
recovery disc is in place, the DVD light flickers for a bit longer,
but there seems to be no attempt to access the registry, the boot
sequence, nothing.

I though that maybe my hard drive was the problem, but after the last
check disc about four days ago I discounted that, particularly since
it won't boot from a DVD.

I've run out of answers - can you help?

Sigma-3

From: MJMIII on
Buy a Dell?

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: lgreenwood on
On May 9, 3:38 am, sigma3 <sigma3....(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> I have a Gateway 340UA that is about three years old and has been
> reliable until maybe 2 or 3 months ago, when it started to fail to
> boot up, but intermittently. I would have to do a reset by holding
> the
> power key down for five seconds, and then try again. Sometimes it
> might take two or three attempts, sometimes a lot more. After one
> attempt took more than (I guess) 80 or 90 goes before it started, I
> decided to see what I could do to improve it.
>
> I run regular diagnostics, defrag the hard drive, run check disc, run
> RamRush to optimise memory all of the time, use CCleaner to clean
> junk
> and registry almost daily (I probably Thursday of this week ituse the
> laptop for at least six hours a day). I also defrag the registry, and
> check for anti spyware regularly even though my anti virus is
> permanently updated and the firewall is always on.
>
> So I decided to backup all of my data, and do a clean install of
> Windows 7 Professional. I also upgraded the RAM to 3gb at the same
> time.
>
> Almost immediately I noticed that the problem hadn't gone away, but
> it
> was a little less frequent, and obviously a clean hard drive and
> registry improved boot up times.
>
> On Thursday of this week, I was partway through some work when the
> screen went blank, and nothing could bring it back, even though the
> web page that I was on was playing a news item so I know the laptop
> was still working.
>
> Eventually, I had to try to bring up the Task Manager, and that was
> when it died completely. I must have tried two hundred times to get
> it
> to start without any success. The Windows 7 recovery disc doesn't
> help, all that happens when I try to start is that the hard drive
> light flickers for a small fraction of a second, then nothing. If the
> recovery disc is in place, the DVD light flickers for a bit longer,
> but there seems to be no attempt to access the registry, the boot
> sequence, nothing.
>
> I though that maybe my hard drive was the problem, but after the last
> check disc about four days ago I discounted that, particularly since
> it won't boot from a DVD.
>
> I've run out of answers - can you help?
>
> Sigma-3

Post to the gateway group: