From: skeeter on
geforce 310, or radeon 5450. pretty low end cards i.m.o.
why is dell doing this? is it a limitation of the power supply? motherboard?
i would think that with an intel i7 that they would have at least stuck with
the ati 4850.

From: Tom Lake on

"skeeter" <longhorn(a)leg.horn> wrote in message
> geforce 310, or radeon 5450. pretty low end cards i.m.o.
> why is dell doing this? is it a limitation of the power supply?
> motherboard? i would think that with an intel i7 that they would have at
> least stuck with the ati 4850.

The 9000 has a 475 W power supply with two six-pin video power connectors.
The minimum required for the ATI HD 4850 is 450 W and one six-pin connector
so it should be fine. ATI might be trying to protect the Alienware line by
crippling
the 9000. I know that the 9000 BIOS used to allow overclocking in very
early
BIOS versions but all adjustments to voltages and frequencies have been
removed
from later revisions (anything after A07) which seems to support my
"Alienware conspiracy" theory.

Tom Lake

From: Daddy on
skeeter wrote:
> geforce 310, or radeon 5450. pretty low end cards i.m.o.
> why is dell doing this? is it a limitation of the power supply?
> motherboard? i would think that with an intel i7 that they would have at
> least stuck with the ati 4850.

Dell also offers 'high end' graphics cards.

High end graphics cards are mostly needed by people who want to play the
latest 3D games at high resolutions. For the rest of us, a "low end"
graphics card is all we need.

Daddy
From: Daddy on