From: Rviv on
Hello,

I am using office 2003, Recently I noticed that the "my places" bar has
disappeared. I have looked everywhere on how to put it back and have had no
luck. I have done registry entries with no luck. I did not install any recent
software. I have also tryed to repair office aswell.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

From: Luke M on
I do not think the "My Places" bar is a default toolbar, but rather a custom
toolbar that you (or a predecessor) installed. Perhaps the file for it got
deleted?
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

From: Rviv on
Thanks Luke for responding. This is the my places bar that is to the left of
the window when you click on open or save as. I have seen many documents on
how to add or remove Icons in this area, but nothing on how to restore it if
it becomes missing. If I click on open file with in excel (or any other
office application) I do not see an area for the my places bar. I thought it
may be some file(s) that are missing, but a repair/reinstall of office did
not fix the problem.

Thanks,

RViv

From: Dave Peterson on
You're sure you're using xl2003, right? This was new in xl2002.

If you do a file|open and then click on Tools|Add to "My Places"
does anything change?

I didn't try any of this stuff out, but I did search google for:
registry tweak myplaces
(one word for myplaces was intentional)

There were lots of hits including one that pointed to an MSKB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826214

You may want to do a little googling to see if you can find anything specific
for your version of excel and windows.

ps. Back up your registry before you modify it. Then you can just restore that
backup if you mess things up.

--

Dave Peterson
From: Rviv on
Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I am using office 2003 stanard to be specific. This
problem just showed up last week. I did not do anything on the machine. I
have looked at the KB article and also scoured the internet trying to find a
solution with no luck. So I thought I would try to post this.
one thing I noticed is when trying some regisrty enteries ( on a virtual
machine) I could make all the items dissappear in the my places bar with the
exception on one icon. Once I put in the DWORD value of "show" all item would
appear. Also my registry on te problem Pc matches the registry on the virtual
PC. I dont not beleive that my problem is with the registry ( or at least in
this area of it). I am at a loss with this.

Thanks for looking!

Rviv