From: shrill chris on
Need an idiot's guide to NAT routers. I've having a discussion with
someone about NATs and PFWs. I'm technical but need to check a few
basics. TIA.

--
Help destroy A C F for its own good.

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers on
za kAT <zakAT(a)super-secret-ipaddress.invalid> wrote:
> On 12 Aug 2010 13:47:20 GMT, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
> | NAT is not a security feature
>
> Why?

Because it wasn't designed (nor intended) to be one. NAT is a feature to
*enable* communication between private and public networks. The purpose
of network security measures is to *restrict* communication between
networks. These are fundamentally different concepts.

cu
59cobalt
--Mark Russinovich
From: za kAT on
On 12 Aug 2010 15:31:31 GMT, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:

> za kAT <zakAT(a)super-secret-ipaddress.invalid> wrote:
>> On 12 Aug 2010 13:47:20 GMT, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
>>| NAT is not a security feature
>>
>> Why?
>
> Because it wasn't designed (nor intended) to be one.

> NAT is a feature to
> *enable* communication between private and public networks.

I thought that was IP masquerading.

NAT just seems to be a way negating the need to update routing tables
beyond the routers external interface to reflect what networks are behind
the NAT router.

> The purpose
> of network security measures is to *restrict* communication between
> networks. These are fundamentally different concepts.

It does restrict communication inbound.

--
zakAT(a)pooh.the.cat - Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416.
Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for denigration!
From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers on
za kAT <zakAT(a)super-secret-ipaddress.invalid> wrote:
> On 12 Aug 2010 15:31:31 GMT, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
>> za kAT <zakAT(a)super-secret-ipaddress.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> Why?
>>
>> Because it wasn't designed (nor intended) to be one.
>
>> NAT is a feature to *enable* communication between private and public
>> networks.
>
> I thought that was IP masquerading.

IP masquerading (or port address translation, PAT) is the most commonly
used subset of NAT nowadays. It's correct that NAT is not limited to
remapping private to public addresses and vice versa, but even though,
it's still a technology invented to enable rather than restrict
communication.

>> The purpose of network security measures is to *restrict*
>> communication between networks. These are fundamentally different
>> concepts.
>
> It does restrict communication inbound.

Not necessarily. Which is exactly the problem. Besides, what's atually
restricting inbound communication in case of private addresses is the
convention that private IP addresses must not be routed over public
networks. The NAT device itself doesn't have much to do with it.

cu
59cobalt
--Mark Russinovich
From: za kAT on
On 12 Aug 2010 16:44:35 GMT, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:

> za kAT <zakAT(a)super-secret-ipaddress.invalid> wrote:

>>> Because it wasn't designed (nor intended) to be one.
>>
>>> NAT is a feature to *enable* communication between private and public
>>> networks.
>>
>> I thought that was IP masquerading.
>
> IP masquerading (or port address translation, PAT) is the most commonly
> used subset of NAT nowadays.

That's interesting, because I'd always understood IP masquerading to be the
act of 'hiding' many addresses behind another. Not another name for PAT.
It's an idea, not a physical act. Maybe I'm wrong, I couldn't quickly find
a good definition.

Whereas NAT, which you rightly point out as usually meaning PAT/NAPT is a
physical act. Maybe you're right, I dunno, but true NAT[1:1] still hides an
address.

> It's correct that NAT is not limited to
> remapping private to public addresses and vice versa, but even though,
> it's still a technology invented to enable rather than restrict
> communication.

Yeah but, a hammer was designed to knock nails in, but it can still be an
offensive weapon.

>>> The purpose of network security measures is to *restrict*
>>> communication between networks. These are fundamentally different
>>> concepts.
>>
>> It does restrict communication inbound.
>
> Not necessarily. Which is exactly the problem.

I assume you are referring to it's inability to really tackle solicited
outbound wrt malware. I still don't see it as a problem, just part of a
simple solution, when paired with an AV suite.

> Besides, what's atually
> restricting inbound communication in case of private addresses is the
> convention that private IP addresses must not be routed over public
> networks. The NAT device itself doesn't have much to do with it.

Partly, but also the lack of a mapping in the state table means unsolicited
inbound is dropped.