From: charliech on
I run NAV2010, but not NIS2010. I was wondering how WinXP's Firewall
would work with Nav2010? Is anyone running this combination and could
provide some insights? And also, so possible settings for WinXP's
Firewall.

Thanks for any input!

charliec
From: Bruce Chambers on
charliech(a)email.com wrote:
> I run NAV2010, but not NIS2010. I was wondering how WinXP's Firewall
> would work with Nav2010? Is anyone running this combination and could
> provide some insights? And also, so possible settings for WinXP's
> Firewall.
>
> Thanks for any input!
>
> charliec

This is sort of asking if oranges and apples sitting in the same fruit
bowl will some how turn into "orples" or "apparnges." NAV10 is an
anti-virus application and the Windows Firewall is, well, a firewall.
The two won't interact, at all.

Also, there are virtually no settings, other than allowing specified
applications to access your computer from remote sites.

WinXP's built-in firewall is usually adequate at stopping incoming
attacks, and hiding your ports from probes. What WinXP SP2's firewall
does not do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or
someone else using your computer) might download and install
inadvertently. It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all, other than
to check for IP-spoofing, much less block (or at even ask you about) the
bad or the questionable out-going signals. It assumes that any
application you have on your hard drive is there because you want it
there, and therefore has your "permission" to access the Internet.
Further, because the Windows Firewall is a "stateful" firewall, it will
also assume that any incoming traffic that's a direct response to a
Trojan's or spyware's out-going signal is also authorized.

ZoneAlarm or Kerio (as just two examples - there are other free
personal firewalls available) much better than WinXP's built-in
firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are free
versions of each readily available. Even the commercially available
Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far, although it does
take a heavier toll of system performance then do ZoneAlarm or Kerio.

Having said that, it's important to remember that firewalls and
anti-virus applications, which should always be used and should always
be running, while important components of "safe hex," cannot, and should
not be expected to, protect the computer user from him/herself.
Ultimately, it is incumbent upon each and every computer user to learn
how to secure his/her own computer.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: