From: z1 on
what I don't get is this:

why is the NBN in most parts not being installed via the sewerage system?

seems Brisbane Council is thinking of doing it that way.
should save them heaps.

From: terryc on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:33:02 +1000, z1 wrote:

> what I don't get is this:
>
> why is the NBN in most parts not being installed via the sewerage
> system?

You want to make dirty phone calls do you?

Possibly a great idea for ancient cities with many overlays, but almost
totally useless here.

Useless method in your street. Have a look at the cabling method shown on
their web pages. Now imagine your current system which is likely to go
crumble with heavy rain and imagine that stuffed down the sewer; 100%
aggressive chemically laden water attacking any copper and variably
refracting any light paths.

It might, just might be okay for some runs of NBN trunk cables in the
short term.

Unfortunately, sewage systems are not just places of water and soft
objects, but also get abused as a general toxic waste and anything we can
flush down the dunny or fit down the pipe rubbish dump. Apart from the
toxic environment, any hard object driven by storm waters can do a fair
bit of damage.

> seems Brisbane Council is thinking of doing it that way. should save
> them heaps.

1. Brisbane Brisbane Council is not responsible for the NBN.
2. Does Brisbane council manage the sewage system in Brisbane?
3. Any piece of fibre optic cable is not the NBN. Optic fibre in networks
has been around for over 15 years and my SOHO has had it for over 10
years.

From: terryc on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:59:08 +0000, terryc wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:33:02 +1000, z1 wrote:
>
>> what I don't get is this:
>>
>> why is the NBN in most parts not being installed via the sewerage
>> system?
>
> You want to make dirty phone calls do you?
>
> Possibly a great idea for ancient cities with many overlays, but almost
> totally useless here.

Note, given our cityscapes are still largely clean soil, under boring is
probably a reasonable only installation method.