From: Luke Brown on
Hey, newbie to dual monitor setup.
I've got two monitors, each have DVI, VGA and HDMI (benq e2420hd) and
a video card that has all three (Powercolor 5770).
At the moment I've got one monitor set up using DVI and one using VGA
but the VGA monitor is noticeably worse in colour reproduction, etc.
What is my best option for the second monitor beyond VGA and what cord
do I need? I started googling it last night and saw things like DVI
splitter (can I use the one GPU port for both monitors?), HDMI to USB
(can I save a HDMI port?), or do I just want a normal HDMI cable?
Thanks.
From: terryc on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 15:39:29 -0700, Luke Brown wrote:

> Hey, newbie to dual monitor setup.
> I've got two monitors, each have DVI, VGA and HDMI (benq e2420hd) and a
> video card that has all three (Powercolor 5770).

Usually proper dual monitor cards have two of each/the outlet on their
card. What it looks like is that you have a multi outlet card that allows
options like vga or HDMi and a TV quality outlet. The initial use of
these cards was for the video editing interests as most video production
was then for TV/TV qualitydevices.

> At the moment I've got
> one monitor set up using DVI and one using VGA but the VGA monitor is
> noticeably worse in colour reproduction, etc. What is my best option for
> the second monitor beyond VGA and what cord do I need?

Obtain either a dual video card or a second monitor card.
Frankly, why bother? what game are you playing that actually supports
dual screens?

I started
> googling it last night and saw things like DVI splitter (can I use the
> one GPU port for both monitors?),

Not unless you want to display the same information on two different
screens. Caveat, usually requires identical screens,

From: Rob on
On 31/07/2010 8:39 AM, Luke Brown wrote:
> Hey, newbie to dual monitor setup.
> I've got two monitors, each have DVI, VGA and HDMI (benq e2420hd) and
> a video card that has all three (Powercolor 5770).
> At the moment I've got one monitor set up using DVI and one using VGA
> but the VGA monitor is noticeably worse in colour reproduction, etc.
> What is my best option for the second monitor beyond VGA and what cord
> do I need? I started googling it last night and saw things like DVI
> splitter (can I use the one GPU port for both monitors?), HDMI to USB
> (can I save a HDMI port?), or do I just want a normal HDMI cable?
> Thanks.

You setup the monitors over both using the graphics card software.

Connect both monitors into the card with separate cables. Should
recognize both and then go to the software you setup your requirements
and adjust the individual colour balance there also.
From: Fred on

"Luke Brown" <lukebrown.home(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey, newbie to dual monitor setup.
> I've got two monitors, each have DVI, VGA and HDMI (benq e2420hd) and
> a video card that has all three (Powercolor 5770).
> At the moment I've got one monitor set up using DVI and one using VGA
> but the VGA monitor is noticeably worse in colour reproduction, etc.
> What is my best option for the second monitor beyond VGA and what cord
> do I need? I started googling it last night and saw things like DVI
> splitter (can I use the one GPU port for both monitors?), HDMI to USB
> (can I save a HDMI port?), or do I just want a normal HDMI cable?
> Thanks.

If that card is a Radeon HD5770 it has got three integrated display
controllers which allows the connection of up to three separate monitors
that can be run independently.
The two DVI outputs are DVI-I format which also carry analogue signals which
allow for the use of a dongle so they can be connected to VGA cables.
With the monitors that you have I would just connect both monitors via the
two separate DVI ports using a dvi cable for each monitor.
You would need something like a DVI-D to DVI-D Video Cable for each monitor.
Presumably you already have one monitor connected this way.
An example can be seen here. http://www.jaycar.com.au/index.asp Search for
Catalogue number WC7590

From: Luke Brown on
> What it looks like is that you have a multi outlet card that allows
> options like vga or HDMi and a TV quality outlet. The initial use of
> these cards was for the video editing interests as most video production
> was then for TV/TV qualitydevices.

This seems to be correct. My graphics card has 1x VGA, 1x Dual-Link
DVI-I and 1x HDMI.
I have one monitor set up with DVI and one with VGA, but the VGA looks
crappy. So can I set up my second monitor using the HDMI port? And do
I get a DVI-to-HDMI cable or just a standard DVI cable?
(PS: I don't want to duplicate the contents of the first display onto
the second).