From: terryc on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 23:52:57 -0700, Luke Brown wrote:

>> What it looks like is that you have a multi outlet card that allows
>> options like vga or HDMi and a TV quality outlet. The initial use of
>> these cards was for the video editing interests as most video
>> production was then for TV/TV qualitydevices.
>
> This seems to be correct. My graphics card has 1x VGA, 1x Dual-Link
> DVI-I and 1x HDMI.
> I have one monitor set up with DVI and one with VGA, but the VGA looks
> crappy.

> So can I set up my second monitor using the HDMI port?

As far as I understand it, no. It is an either VGA or HDMI (or the same
picture on both sockets) plus a (lower quality) composite video signal
such as can be fed to a TV.

I did try to look up the details of this card on the manufacturers
website, but I just wasn't prepared to do battle on that site to find the
details.

IME, video/monitor cards that support dual monitors have two outlets the
same on the card. YMMV
From: Fred on
Luke Brown wrote:
>> What it looks like is that you have a multi outlet card that allows
>> options like vga or HDMi and a TV quality outlet. The initial use of
>> these cards was for the video editing interests as most video
>> production was then for TV/TV qualitydevices.
>
> This seems to be correct. My graphics card has 1x VGA, 1x Dual-Link
> DVI-I and 1x HDMI.
> I have one monitor set up with DVI and one with VGA, but the VGA looks
> crappy. So can I set up my second monitor using the HDMI port? And do
> I get a DVI-to-HDMI cable or just a standard DVI cable?
> (PS: I don't want to duplicate the contents of the first display onto
> the second).

Yes it looks like you bought the cut down 512MB budget version that only
supports two monitors using eyefinity rather than 3 monitors like most other
versions. So use the HDMI port for the second monitor using a HDMI cable.

From: Luke Brown on
terryc wrote:
> As far as I understand it, no. It is an either VGA or HDMI (or the same
> picture on both sockets) plus a (lower quality) composite video signal
> such as can be fed to a TV.

Thanks for going to that trouble, Terry. System Information only
reports my card as being of the 5770 series, and the ATI control panel
software says the device ID number is 68b8, which hasn't helped me
narrow it down from the 347 5770s on the Powercolor website.

Fred wrote:
> Yes it looks like you bought the cut down 512MB budget version....So use the HDMI port for the second monitor using a HDMI cable.
It is definitely 1024MB, 850mhz core clock, 1250mhz memory clock.
I'm not sure if what you're saying contradicts what terry is saying.
Are you just saying that, yes, I should use my one HDMI port for the
second monitor (not a problem with me) but it is also true that the
output will be of reduced quality compared to the primary (DVI)
monitor?
From: Fred on
Luke Brown wrote:
> terryc wrote:
>> As far as I understand it, no. It is an either VGA or HDMI (or the
>> same
>> picture on both sockets) plus a (lower quality) composite video
>> signal
>> such as can be fed to a TV.
>
> Thanks for going to that trouble, Terry. System Information only
> reports my card as being of the 5770 series, and the ATI control panel
> software says the device ID number is 68b8, which hasn't helped me
> narrow it down from the 347 5770s on the Powercolor website.
>
> Fred wrote:
>> Yes it looks like you bought the cut down 512MB budget version....So
>> use the HDMI port for the second monitor using a HDMI cable.
> It is definitely 1024MB, 850mhz core clock, 1250mhz memory clock.
> I'm not sure if what you're saying contradicts what terry is saying.
> Are you just saying that, yes, I should use my one HDMI port for the
> second monitor (not a problem with me) but it is also true that the
> output will be of reduced quality compared to the primary (DVI)
> monitor?

There is this one with a 850mhz engine 1200mhz memory that only has VGA, DVI
amd HDMI (no display port or tv out)
It's a dual slot card because of the size of the cooling solution.
http://www.powercolor.com/au/products_features.asp?id=209

HDMI for the card is limited to a maximum 1920x1200 resolution (more than
enough for your monitor's native resolution of 1920x1080) and the quality
would be better than VGA.
Only one easy way to find out if it works OK. See if you can borrow a cable
or buy one from someone that accepts returns.