From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:23:03 -0800, Digitman_ken
<Digitmanken(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>If there is a way to do it I would like to send NDR's but only try 2 or
>three times and then gust drop the NDR.
>Ken R.

If a genuine NDR can't get there 1st time then the chances are that it
won't ever get there.
Do either what I suggested or what Ben suggested.
Ben's idea is probably best as a first step although I'm seeing the
majority of UK side customers just abandon NDR's flat dead stop
period.

From: Digitman_ken on
Sorry about not getting back to this sooned.

This sounds like what I am looking for.
Can you point me to an artical that tells me how to do the "Filter
Recipients who are not in the directory". So I can set that up.
Thanks
Ken R.

From: Digitman_ken on
This sounds like what I would like to do. Can you point me to where I can get
instructions on how to "Filter Recipients who are not in the directory".

From: Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP] on
I don't know if there are articles (I'm sure there are), but the steps are
simple. It does require Exchange 2003, but it works well.

Open Exchange System Manager, expand Global Settings, Right click on Message
Delivery, go to Properties. Next, go to the Recipient Filtering Tab and
check the box on the bottom to filter recipients who are not in the
directory.

Following this, you still need to enable the filter. To do that, go to the
properties of your SMTP Virtual Server (ESM, Administrative Groups, Servers,
Server, Protocols, SMTP, Default SMTP Virtual Server properties). Then
under the IP address section of the General Tab, click on Advanced, then
click Edit, then check the box to enable the Recipient Filter. You *may*
have to restart the SMTP service to get it working, but typically I don't
believe you have to. YMMV.

That's it. Now, any e-mails sent to your server to an invalid address will
be discarded during the SMTP conversation, so your server will not send an
NDR.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

From: Digitman_ken on
Thank you very much,

I will set it up when I get back to the main office.

It is a shame that there is not a way to allow NDR just once or twice to the
outside world so that if a legitimate person that makes a type-O in the
e-mail address would get the ndr so that they know about it.