From: Digitman_ken on
I am sure this has been asked before but I can't fine what I am looking for
so I am going to ask it any way.

We are running Exchange 2003 and i get a severay hundret SMTP Connector
listing each day. and when I look at them they are full of NDR's that the
postmaster is trying to send.
Is there a way to tell Exchange to only try 2 or 3 time before it drops the
NDR out of the queue?

If not is there a tool that will go throught and get rid of all the ndr's
that are being sent by postmaster.

The reason I ask is with 3 or 4 hundred smtp connectors listed it is very
time consuming to try to find a real message that has not been deliverd and
determin if there is a real problem with mail flow.
--
Ken R.
From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:15:02 -0800, Digitman_ken
<Digitmanken(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am sure this has been asked before but I can't fine what I am looking for
>so I am going to ask it any way.
>
>We are running Exchange 2003 and i get a severay hundret SMTP Connector
>listing each day. and when I look at them they are full of NDR's that the
>postmaster is trying to send.
>Is there a way to tell Exchange to only try 2 or 3 time before it drops the
>NDR out of the queue?
>
>If not is there a tool that will go throught and get rid of all the ndr's
>that are being sent by postmaster.
>
>The reason I ask is with 3 or 4 hundred smtp connectors listed it is very
>time consuming to try to find a real message that has not been deliverd and
>determin if there is a real problem with mail flow.

The advice i'd offer to you is to simply stop sending NDR messages
(Global Settings > Internet Message Formats > properties)
If you're bothered about the volume of traffic then just take that
element away.
From: Steve Carr on
even better, use the new DNS blacklisting feature of 2003 to not even bother
to accept much of it since the the blacklists will drop it due to coming
from a Spam source. I wouldn't recommend turning off NDR's since it is
helpful to people sending real email to your orgaization so, for example,
they know they spelled someone's username wrong etc.

From: Digitman_ken on
If there is a way to do it I would like to send NDR's but only try 2 or
three times and then gust drop the NDR.
Ken R.

From: Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP] on
I don't like using DNS Black lists, but I would enable the feature to
"Filter Recipients who are not in the directory". This should drastically
cut down on the number of NDR's issued, as all spam to non-existant users
would be dropped during the SMTP conversation.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP