From: Bikini Browser on
Hello Everyone...

I have a gateway tower. The computer was running but when I restart it, it
won't boot. I played with the power and the front switch a few times and I
was able to get it to boot finally, but now, it won't boot at all.

It never even boots to the BIOS. I unplugged everything except the Monitor
and keyboard it still won't boot.

It's not beeping. The fan comes on, and there is a LED that blinks a few
times but then nothing else happens. The monitor says NO SIGNAL.

Does anyone have any ideas what can keep it from booting/rebooting. In the
past, I had to unplug it and leave it alone for 5 or 10 minutes before it
would boot up, but as I said, not it won't boot at all.

And one more symptom... When you plug it in, it turns on by itself, without
having to press the on button in the front of the computer.

I'm looking for ideas on where to begin to troubleshoot this issue.. All
ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

---------------------------------------
Bikini Browser of San Juan Puerto Rico
Small Business Office Automation
Small Business Document Imaging Solutions
Networking Solutions using Linksys & Cisco Products

(787) 637-9100
www.daleallen.com

From: Bruce Chambers on
Bikini Browser wrote:
> Hello Everyone...
>
> I have a gateway tower. The computer was running but when I restart it, it
> won't boot. I played with the power and the front switch a few times and I
> was able to get it to boot finally, but now, it won't boot at all.
>
> It never even boots to the BIOS. I unplugged everything except the Monitor
> and keyboard it still won't boot.
>
> It's not beeping. The fan comes on, and there is a LED that blinks a few
> times but then nothing else happens. The monitor says NO SIGNAL.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what can keep it from booting/rebooting. In the
> past, I had to unplug it and leave it alone for 5 or 10 minutes before it
> would boot up, but as I said, not it won't boot at all.
>
> And one more symptom... When you plug it in, it turns on by itself, without
> having to press the on button in the front of the computer.
>
> I'm looking for ideas on where to begin to troubleshoot this issue.. All
> ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance...

You've a hardware failure: either the power supply or the motherboard.
Based on the symptoms you've mentioned (fan working, LED lighting, not
needing the power switch), I'd be inclined to suspect the motherboard as
the primary culprit.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: SC Tom on

"Bikini Browser" <delete.bikini.this.browser(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone...
>
> I have a gateway tower. The computer was running but when I restart it,
> it won't boot. I played with the power and the front switch a few times
> and I was able to get it to boot finally, but now, it won't boot at all.
>
> It never even boots to the BIOS. I unplugged everything except the
> Monitor and keyboard it still won't boot.
>
> It's not beeping. The fan comes on, and there is a LED that blinks a few
> times but then nothing else happens. The monitor says NO SIGNAL.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what can keep it from booting/rebooting. In
> the past, I had to unplug it and leave it alone for 5 or 10 minutes before
> it would boot up, but as I said, not it won't boot at all.
>
> And one more symptom... When you plug it in, it turns on by itself,
> without having to press the on button in the front of the computer.
>
> I'm looking for ideas on where to begin to troubleshoot this issue.. All
> ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Bikini Browser of San Juan Puerto Rico
> Small Business Office Automation
> Small Business Document Imaging Solutions
> Networking Solutions using Linksys & Cisco Products
>
> (787) 637-9100
> www.daleallen.com

Sounds like it could be a power supply problem.

The reason it turns on by itself when plugged in is that the option set in
BIOS is to boot on power restoration.
--
SC Tom