From: bb202 on
Out of the blue, the optical drive cannot read the cd/dvd.When I power on the
pc, it does detect the device as shown in 'my computer" but whenI insert a
cd/dvd, it will not read it.

I detached the data cable and attached it again, the pc recognised a new
device but still it cannnot read the cd/dvd. However when I attached this
optical drive into another pc, it can read the same cd. This shows me that
the optical drive it functioning proper, so is it the controllers problem?

As an experiment, I attached another optical drive from my wife's computer
into my computer, it can detected a new device and read the same cd.

So it seems very strange to me and do not know whats the root cause of the
problem. Any advice is much appreciated, thanks
..
From: Rich Barry on
Try Doug Knox's Fix.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm