From: Ignoramus16841 on
On 2010-08-05, Rahul <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Ignoramus16841 <ignoramus16841(a)NOSPAM.16841.invalid> wrote in
>
>> I have a desktop at work that has several NFS mounted filesystems that
>> it picks from a few servers.
>>

>> I am totally stumped as to what could be going on. Any ideas?
>>

> What mount options are you using? Can you paste your fstab?

I have really shortened what I had, but here goes

server:/directory /x nfs ro

Even this short form does not work, so it is something else
From: Ignoramus16841 on
On 2010-08-05, J G Miller <miller(a)yoyo.ORG> wrote:
> On Thursday, August 5th, 2010 at 11:21:36h -0500,
> Ignoramus16841 wrote:
>
>> HOWEVER, this same filesystem is also use by very many other clients,
>> and they are all fine.
>
> What do those clients have in common?

They are servers and desktops that run Hardy

> Which OS and version are they running?

Ubuntu Hardy

> Which nfs client version are they running?

standard nfs client

>> We have a couple of desktops with this problem, howeber.
>
> What do those clients have in common?

They run Ubuntu Jaunty (but I cannot say that all Jaunty clients have this)

> Which OS and version are they running?

Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04

> Which nfs client version are they running?

Standard client package

> And if it make you any happier, I was having intermittent problems
> with automounted NFS v4 file systems from Mint 9 (Ubuntu 10.04) in
> which the mounted directory entry was present but it could not
> see the files and directories underneath (error message no such
> "supposedly mounted directory name" exists).
>
> I think There has been however a recent nfs update and I have not
> noticed the problem since, but as I said it was very intermittent.

Yes. I am not sure yet what exactly is going on. just the system call
to "mount" hangs -- not DNS or anything like that.

From: Rahul on
Ignoramus16841 <ignoramus16841(a)NOSPAM.16841.invalid> wrote in

> When my computer boots, it mounts all of them and it is great. After a
> while (like a day), two mounts (both point to the same server) simply
> hang.

Could it be a server side issue? Do you have any other clients mounting
server:/directory to verify if they face that issue too?

--
Rahul
From: Ignoramus16841 on
On 2010-08-05, Rahul <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Ignoramus16841 <ignoramus16841(a)NOSPAM.16841.invalid> wrote in
>
>> When my computer boots, it mounts all of them and it is great. After a
>> while (like a day), two mounts (both point to the same server) simply
>> hang.
>>

> Could it be a server side issue? Do you have any other clients mounting
> server:/directory to verify if they face that issue too?

We have many other clients mounting that directory and they are fine.

From: mjt on
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 10:48:05 -0500
Ignoramus16841 <ignoramus16841(a)NOSPAM.16841.invalid> wrote:
> Newsgroups:
> alt.os.linux.ubuntu,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking

If you *have* to post to multiple newsgroups, please set a "FollowUp"

--
Anything free is worth what you pay for it.
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>