From: J G Miller on
On Monday, August 9th, 2010 at 16:58:37h +0000, Rahul explained:

> I had the exact same problem on many machines a few months ago.
> In that case we diagnosed it to be a problem with the
> Broadcom drivers that caused them to hang under load.

So nothing to do with NFS per se, but the ethernet network card
kernel modules.

Presumably network services other than NFS were also affected by
intermittent outages?

Would monitoring with iftop be useful to see network problems
of this type?
From: Ignoramus27168 on
On 2010-08-09, J G Miller <miller(a)yoyo.ORG> wrote:
> On Monday, August 9th, 2010 at 16:58:37h +0000, Rahul explained:
>>
>> I had the exact same problem on many machines a few months ago.
>> In that case we diagnosed it to be a problem with the
>> Broadcom drivers that caused them to hang under load.
>
> So nothing to do with NFS per se, but the ethernet network card
> kernel modules.
>
> Presumably network services other than NFS were also affected by
> intermittent outages?
>
> Would monitoring with iftop be useful to see network problems
> of this type?

I am not sure what is happening. I know that the share itself is
having unspecified "issues", however, they only affect these two
machines in this way. I am working towards setting up linux-ha to
replace the old share.

I am also upgrading both PCs to Lucid.

From: Rahul on
Ignoramus27168 <ignoramus27168(a)NOSPAM.27168.invalid> wrote in

> I am not sure what is happening. I know that the share itself is
> having unspecified "issues", however, they only affect these two
> machines in this way. I am working towards setting up linux-ha to
> replace the old share.
>
> I am also upgrading both PCs to Lucid.

Did you manage to solve the problem? What was the fix?

--
Rahul