From: Ignoramus16841 on
I have a desktop at work that has several NFS mounted filesystems that
it picks from a few servers.

When my computer boots, it mounts all of them and it is great. After a
while (like a day), two mounts (both point to the same server) simply
hang.

*) If I do ls -l /x it hangs forever.
*) If I do umount -l -f /x, it unmounts
*) If I then do mount /x, it hangs forever. Strace says

[pid 20657] close(3) = 0
[pid 20657] time(NULL) = 1281021699
[pid 20657] mount("server:/directory", "/x", "nfs", MS_RDONLY, "rsize=8192,wsize=8192,intr,addr="...^C <unfinished ...>

*) At the same time, other filesystems (from other servers) work
great.
*) Restarting nfs-common or portmap does NOT help.

I am totally stumped as to what could be going on. Any ideas?

Thanks

From: J G Miller on
On Thursday, August 5th, 2010 at 10:48:05h -0500, Ignoramus16841 explained:

> I have a desktop at work that has several NFS mounted filesystems that
> it picks from a few servers.
>
> When my computer boots, it mounts all of them and it is great. After a
> while (like a day), two mounts (both point to the same server) simply
> hang.

And these NFS mounted file systems are not the underlying DRBD file systems?
From: Ignoramus16841 on
On 2010-08-05, J G Miller <miller(a)yoyo.ORG> wrote:
> On Thursday, August 5th, 2010 at 10:48:05h -0500, Ignoramus16841 explained:
>
>> I have a desktop at work that has several NFS mounted filesystems that
>> it picks from a few servers.
>>
>> When my computer boots, it mounts all of them and it is great. After a
>> while (like a day), two mounts (both point to the same server) simply
>> hang.
>
> And these NFS mounted file systems are not the underlying DRBD file systems?

Yes. The problematic mount is based on DRBD on the backend. HOWEVER,
this same filesystem is also use by very many other clients, and they
are all fine.

We have a couple of desktops with this problem, howeber.

From: Rahul on
Ignoramus16841 <ignoramus16841(a)NOSPAM.16841.invalid> wrote in

> I have a desktop at work that has several NFS mounted filesystems that
> it picks from a few servers.
>

> I am totally stumped as to what could be going on. Any ideas?

What mount options are you using? Can you paste your fstab?

--
Rahul
From: J G Miller on
On Thursday, August 5th, 2010 at 11:21:36h -0500,
Ignoramus16841 wrote:

> HOWEVER, this same filesystem is also use by very many other clients,
> and they are all fine.

What do those clients have in common?

Which OS and version are they running?

Which nfs client version are they running?

> We have a couple of desktops with this problem, howeber.

What do those clients have in common?

Which OS and version are they running?

Which nfs client version are they running?

And if it make you any happier, I was having intermittent problems
with automounted NFS v4 file systems from Mint 9 (Ubuntu 10.04) in
which the mounted directory entry was present but it could not
see the files and directories underneath (error message no such
"supposedly mounted directory name" exists).

I think There has been however a recent nfs update and I have not
noticed the problem since, but as I said it was very intermittent.