From: jameshanley39 on
On 9 May, 20:05, "david astle" <davi.ast...(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Hello to all
>
> I am currently stuck in a dead end job going nowhere fast, I have looked
> into getting a job in computing as this is something I have a keen interest
> in.
> I am a total beginner at this line of work and finding it hard at
> interviews, as a have such little knowledge. The work I have started to look
> at getting his stuff like Desktop support Technicians roll and have to
> started with the Microsoft certifications has anybody got any help they can
> give me. I`am working my way through this at the present. Microsoft
> Certified Desktop support Technician (MSCDT) withhttp://www.comptia-certification.co.uk/packages.htm
>
> was looking at doing a course with computeach, to gain the
>
> CompTIA A+ certified
>
> CompTIA Network+
>
> Cisco CCNA
>
> Professional (MCP)
>
> Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA)
>
> Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MSCSE)
>
> Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MSCDBA)
>
> N+
>
> A+
>
> Plz plz HELP
>
> Dave

I was wondering about MCSE vs the thing you mention, and then I
discovered that the thing you mention is MCDST .

You may want to consider the MCSE. I don't know how the MCDST compares
to that.

Have you built computers. Changed a hard drive or RAM? That may be
related to the CompTIA A+?

Have you installed windows yourself? Do you tend to fix problems when
they occur in windows e.g. often by googling. Do you fix other
peoples' problems? Knowledge of windows is related to the MCSE. or
MCDST.

There are different areas. Single computers, Networks.

Naturally one should know his way around the former before looking
hard into the latter.

individual computers have their hardware, their software(The OS e.g.
windows in particular), applications/utilities.

There are no useful certs in the applications/utilities that I have in
mind.. e.g. Have you built up a list of useful programs, that help
you do what you need to do? This comes from googling when you have
problems.. For example, you may have encountered Nero - or better
now, CD Burner XP Pro. You may have made some use of a P2P app like
eMule. You may have used Agent Ransack to do a search. VideoLAN and
"media player classic" and "quicktime alternative" to open media
files..
These come from a couple of years or intense months of googling (web
and usenet) for useful applications when you have a problem. Freeware
sites can have stuff. If you don't know of these programs, you can
find out very easily it's a matter of googling. But these were just
examples of what one naturally runs into when being into computers.
Infact, just being a technical person using windows. (there are even
people like that outside the computer industsry)

There's programming.
Most programmers are already quite good at fixing their own computer.

So, from single computers, after mastering that, one can look into
networks or programming, or both.

Each of these areas has certs.

(I prefer to look at it like that The certs don't define what's out
there, they just cover it)

There are programmers that can't fix their own computers.

It's very easy to get stuck in a dead end job in computers. I know a
guy, he did a computer science degree, got a computer job with
windows. And hasn't yet found the time to do an MCSE.

Though actually, he may be content with his job. It was better than
his last one, and as a married man, it actually puts him in a better
position 'cos his wife earns a salary too.

once people in computers get married - if they aren't already, then it
changes things a bit.. takes up more time . Moving up in computers
requires lots of time.. Some computer jobs you don't learn on the
job.. If you're in a good company they may give you study leave, which
is a big if, and sounds quite pressured.

Some people are spending THOUSANDS on 1 week or 2 week courses..
Technically you can do it at home, but it takes motivation ,
confidence, and a keen interest to do that..

And you may need more than one computer at home 'cos you need to
connect 2 together. And you need to be able to play with one, remove
the operating system e.t.c You may need a few, with a KVM switch.
then you need to fix them, often means buying new parts. A nusiance if
the motherboard goes, but other components are quick and not too
expensive to replace

It can be expensive and is certainly time consuming to stay up to
date. Far more so than other professions.

You could do it.. with 2 computers put the windows OS that you're
qualifying in onto them. Play with them. Monitor your progress from
time to time.

Consider if the salary you get for having an MCSE or MCDST good
enough? 'cos if you don't have much spare time outside work, and
you're not learning on the job, then it can be tough to move up.
Maybe once you become proficient at tech support in an MCSE or MCDST
job, you could keep trying new jobs until you find one you can move up
in. I don't know.