From: ray on
A friend of mine recently purchased a Verbatim USB/Firewire portable
hard drive. He wants to use it exclusively on WinXP with NTFS. The drive
came formatted for Macs. It shows up in Disk Utility as Mac OS Extended
Journaled with a GUID partition map.
The partion shows as Mac OS Extended.

How can I reformat this as NTFS?
Windows simply doesn't see the drive, even in disk management in XP.
I tried ntfs - 3g but it repeatedly fails to do anything. Formatting the
partition to FAT 32 doesn't work either.

Any constructive suggestions please?

--
http://www.dream-weaver.com/email.php
Web development promotion and seo
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2009-12-13 17:20:09 +0000, ray said:

> A friend of mine recently purchased a Verbatim USB/Firewire portable
> hard drive. He wants to use it exclusively on WinXP with NTFS. The drive
> came formatted for Macs. It shows up in Disk Utility as Mac OS Extended
> Journaled with a GUID partition map.
> The partion shows as Mac OS Extended.
>
> How can I reformat this as NTFS?
> Windows simply doesn't see the drive, even in disk management in XP.
> I tried ntfs - 3g but it repeatedly fails to do anything. Formatting the
> partition to FAT 32 doesn't work either.
>
> Any constructive suggestions please?

Try a more old fashioned partitioning scheme?
--
Chris

From: SteveH on
ray <datasmog(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> A friend of mine recently purchased a Verbatim USB/Firewire portable
> hard drive. He wants to use it exclusively on WinXP with NTFS. The drive
> came formatted for Macs. It shows up in Disk Utility as Mac OS Extended
> Journaled with a GUID partition map.
> The partion shows as Mac OS Extended.
>
> How can I reformat this as NTFS?
> Windows simply doesn't see the drive, even in disk management in XP.
> I tried ntfs - 3g but it repeatedly fails to do anything. Formatting the
> partition to FAT 32 doesn't work either.
>
> Any constructive suggestions please?

Sounds like XP isn't loading the drivers it needs to see the drive
controller.
--
SteveH
From: Woody on
ray <datasmog(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> A friend of mine recently purchased a Verbatim USB/Firewire portable
> hard drive. He wants to use it exclusively on WinXP with NTFS. The drive
> came formatted for Macs. It shows up in Disk Utility as Mac OS Extended
> Journaled with a GUID partition map.
> The partion shows as Mac OS Extended.
>
> How can I reformat this as NTFS?
> Windows simply doesn't see the drive, even in disk management in XP.
> I tried ntfs - 3g but it repeatedly fails to do anything. Formatting the
> partition to FAT 32 doesn't work either.

Reformat as a fat disk in disk utility with a fat partition type, then
format it in disk management in XP.

It is very odd that Disk Manager in XP doesn't see it though - is it
working ok on the mac?

--
Woody

www.alienrat.com
From: Duncan Kennedy on
In message <1jaoc52.kova1l18hih55N%usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk>, Woody
<usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> writes
>ray <datasmog(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A friend of mine recently purchased a Verbatim USB/Firewire portable
>> hard drive. He wants to use it exclusively on WinXP with NTFS. The drive
>> came formatted for Macs. It shows up in Disk Utility as Mac OS Extended
>> Journaled with a GUID partition map.
>> The partion shows as Mac OS Extended.
>>
>> How can I reformat this as NTFS?
>> Windows simply doesn't see the drive, even in disk management in XP.
>> I tried ntfs - 3g but it repeatedly fails to do anything. Formatting the
>> partition to FAT 32 doesn't work either.
>
>Reformat as a fat disk in disk utility with a fat partition type, then
>format it in disk management in XP.
>
>It is very odd that Disk Manager in XP doesn't see it though - is it
>working ok on the mac?

I've been through a similar list of strange happenings while trying to
convert from XP and Vista to Mac. Installed Paragon NTFS for Mac on the
Mac Mini and that was fine - and it comes with a utility that lets you
format to anything you're likely to want. Then I added a MacBook Pro
and wanted to use a spare Firewire / USB2 Freecom drive for backup,
using Firewire. Wrong choice - the Freecom drive just doesn't like Mac
Firewire (I gather there are known Firewire drives that are problems on
the Mac) . OK on USB2 and managed to format to Mac Extended and
Journalised it on the Mac Mini as I haven't got Paragon on the MBP yet.

I guess Paragon would do anything you want with its Mac disk utility -
and I got some brilliant support when I asked for help with an Apple
purchased version which refused to accept the boxed serial number. (But
the Freecom is still not seen under Firewire by either Mac - using a
800/400 cable.)

--
Duncan K
Downtown Dalgety Bay