From: mjt on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:57:48 +0200
Christian Schweingruber <chrigu(a)lorraine.ch> wrote:

> I installed the NVIDIA driver too (without disabling KMS , with
> success (KDE composit working) but io have not found a possibility to
> torn on compiz-effects. Error is: Xgl not present.
> What i have to do to turn compiz on?

"compiz" installed? Not sure? You could, at a CLI:
mjt(a)stimpy:~> sudo zypper in compiz

View /var/log/Xorg.0.log to ensure "Composite is enabled"

--
Test-tube babies shouldn't throw stones.
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>

From: Christian Schweingruber on
mjt schrieb:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:57:48 +0200
> Christian Schweingruber <chrigu(a)lorraine.ch> wrote:
>
>> I installed the NVIDIA driver too (without disabling KMS , with
>> success (KDE composit working) but io have not found a possibility to
>> torn on compiz-effects. Error is: Xgl not present.
>> What i have to do to turn compiz on?
>
> "compiz" installed? Not sure? You could, at a CLI:
> mjt(a)stimpy:~> sudo zypper in compiz
>
> View /var/log/Xorg.0.log to ensure "Composite is enabled"

Yes both. Even tried to install from repo
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/XGL/openSUSE_11.3/

less /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep Composite
[ 17.057] (**) Extension "Composite" is enabled
[ 18.039] (II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions is

christian(a)linux-cdim:~> rpm -q compiz
compiz-0.8.6-3.4.x86_64

christian(a)linux-cdim:~> uname -a
Linux linux-cdim 2.6.34-12-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2010-06-29 02:39:08
+0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

christian(a)linux-cdim:~> glxinfo |head -n 15
name of display: :0.0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control,
GLX_EXT_swap_control, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_ARB_create_context,
GLX_ARB_create_context_profile, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_NV_float_buffer,
GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float, GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:
GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info,

In 11.2 everything works fine.
From: mjt on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 17:46:06 +0200
Christian Schweingruber <chrigu(a)lorraine.ch> wrote:

> > "compiz" installed? Not sure? You could, at a CLI:
> > mjt(a)stimpy:~> sudo zypper in compiz
> >
> > View /var/log/Xorg.0.log to ensure "Composite is enabled"
> >
> Yes both. Even tried to install from repo

What [video] chipset?

--
An artist should be fit for the best society and keep out of it.
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>

From: Christian Schweingruber on
mjt schrieb:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 17:46:06 +0200
> Christian Schweingruber <chrigu(a)lorraine.ch> wrote:
>
>>> "compiz" installed? Not sure? You could, at a CLI:
>>> mjt(a)stimpy:~> sudo zypper in compiz
>>>
>>> View /var/log/Xorg.0.log to ensure "Composite is enabled"
>>>
>> Yes both. Even tried to install from repo
>
> What [video] chipset?

Model: "nVidia GeForce 8500 GT"
Vendor: pci 0x10de "nVidia Corporation"
Device: pci 0x0421 "GeForce 8500 GT"
SubVendor: pci 0x1043 "ASUSTeK Computer Inc."
SubDevice: pci 0x824e
Revision: 0xa1
From: mjt on
On 22 Jul 2010 18:13:50 GMT
central <central77(a)fastmailNOSPAM.fm> wrote:

> > Yast -> Software Repositories -> "Add" button ->
> > Community Repositories -> "Continue" button -> select NVIDIA
> > Repository -> "OK" button
> >
> > Yast -> Software Management -> Search -> "nvidia" The driver for
> > your video card should be "auto-selected" to be installed - if not,
> > select it. "Accept" button.
> >
> <snip other stuff I need to try again>
>
> Can someone explain to me, please, why this suddenly got difficult?
> It was all so easy before:

There might be a One-Click ... I haven't checked.
But it's been like this for a while, right/ I mean,
there's been this Nvidia repo in the past releases.

--
An elephant is a mouse with an operating system.
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>