From: Chris Maaskant on
mjt wrote:

> Yast -> /etc/sysconfig editor _> System -> Kernel
> and set "NO_KMS_IN_INITRD" to "yes" (if not already)
>
> Then, System -> Bootloader, add " nomodeset brokenmodules=nouveau"
> to "DEFAULT_APPEND" and "XEN_KERNEL_APPEND"

Can you explain exactly what these changes do and why they are necessary?
I never had to do anything like that before.

--
Chris Maaskant
From: mjt on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 23:39:48 +0200
Chris Maaskant <gch2(a)quicknet.nl> wrote:
> mjt wrote:
> > Yast -> /etc/sysconfig editor _> System -> Kernel
> > and set "NO_KMS_IN_INITRD" to "yes" (if not already)
> >
> > Then, System -> Bootloader, add " nomodeset brokenmodules=nouveau"
> > to "DEFAULT_APPEND" and "XEN_KERNEL_APPEND"
>
> Can you explain exactly what these changes do and why they are
> necessary? I never had to do anything like that before.

I'm fairly certain the Yast installer has scripts that
set these values automagically.

Anyway, KMS is "kernel mode setting", which takes the
responsibility of setting graphics modes from the X server
and puts it to the kernel. This means that the video mode
is being set at boot-up, rather afterwards. Intel, Nouveau,
Radeo, and a couple others support KMS, but proprietary
drivers, such as Nvidia, don't support KMS.

"nomodeset" kernel parm turns off the the KMS feature, so,
for example, since the Nouveau driver is included in the
initrd image, allowing the kernel can do its KMS thing.
"brokenmodules=nouveau" means not to use the driver :)

As I mentioned, Yast installer has scripts that set the
required values, but I mention it just in case.

--
There has been an alarming increase in the number
of things you know nothing about.

From: mjt on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 18:02:51 -0500
mjt <myswtestYOURSHOES(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> As I mentioned, Yast installer has scripts that set the
> required values, but I mention it just in case.

Meant to include this in the last post:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=search&q=kernel+mode-setting

--
Am I ranting? I hope so. My ranting gets raves.
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>

From: mjt on
On 23 Jul 2010 10:51:54 GMT
central <central77(a)fastmailNOSPAM.fm> wrote:

> Yea, but... Historically, I've just gone to YAST, selected the driver
> and it 'just worked'. Which is actually what I ended up doing today
> (after a quick reinstall to start clean again). And it 'just
> worked' (1).
>
> 1: Except that sound promptly vanished with a bunch of messages about
> the HDMI sound device being removed. Much fiddling, nothing. Reboot,
> and analogue sound reappeared.

A reboot would have been required anyway :)

--
Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>

From: Chris Maaskant on
mjt wrote:

> I'm fairly certain the Yast installer has scripts that
> set these values automagically.
>
> Anyway, KMS is "kernel mode setting", which takes the
> responsibility of setting graphics modes from the X server
> and puts it to the kernel. This means that the video mode
> is being set at boot-up, rather afterwards. Intel, Nouveau,
> Radeo, and a couple others support KMS, but proprietary
> drivers, such as Nvidia, don't support KMS.
>
> "nomodeset" kernel parm turns off the the KMS feature, so,
> for example, since the Nouveau driver is included in the
> initrd image, allowing the kernel can do its KMS thing.
> "brokenmodules=nouveau" means not to use the driver :)

Thank you :-)

--
Chris Maaskant