From: kwikius on
Hi all the Young Dudes,

Anyone know where I can get a Atom Netbook WITHOUT Windows on it in
U.K.

Anyone would think Microsoft was giving Netbook manufacturers an offer
they can refuse.. cant be true can it .. ? ;-)

(Thanks a lot Microsoft but I dont really want your latest offering...
even if its free.)

regards
Andy Little

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon on
kwikius <andy(a)servocomm.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> Hi all the Young Dudes,
>
> Anyone know where I can get a Atom Netbook WITHOUT Windows on it in
> U.K.
>
> Anyone would think Microsoft was giving Netbook manufacturers an offer
> they can refuse.. cant be true can it .. ? ;-)
>
> (Thanks a lot Microsoft but I dont really want your latest offering...
> even if its free.)

It is probably possible, but it will cost you more money.

Because the hard disks are made with MS-Windows pre-burnt. When they
put the magnetic paint on the aluminium plates, it's already
configured to read out as MS-Windows.

So you will have to make a special order, to have the hard disks
erased (more work), the stickers removed (more work), and the special
computer be sent to you. They may even have to hire a new chinese
guy, smarter than average, to do that because all they know to do, is
to produce MS-Windows computers. If they asked one standard chinese
worker to do this special order, you could very well end with a
reinstalled MS-Windows anyways.

So:
- Cost of a standard netbook computer: USD 0.47
- Microsoft fee USD 1.00
- Hire a smarter chinese to implement your special order: USD 4.00
- Cost of the work to de-windowize your special computer: USD 0.20
- Cost of transport: USD 2.23
- Profit: USD 731.48
(instead of 67.56 for a standard one)
- Taxes: USD 219.44
Total: USD 958.82

While a standard issue netbook would cost USD 325.00, and you'd spent
no more time to install Linux on it that on a virgin one.

Yes, I know, it's enraging knowing that Microsoft gets its fee on
every computer, even those not running MS-Windows, but the only
alternative is to build your own or buy an Apple computer.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com
From: Noob on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_Aspire_One#Linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC#Linux_on_the_Eee_PC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSI_Wind_Netbook

cf. also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_netbooks
From: kwikius on
On Apr 29, 12:12 pm, p...(a)informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
> kwikius <a...(a)servocomm.freeserve.co.uk> writes:
> > Hi all the Young Dudes,
>
> > Anyone know where I can get a Atom Netbook WITHOUT Windows on it in
> > U.K.
>
> > Anyone would think Microsoft was giving Netbook manufacturers an offer
> > they can refuse.. cant be true can it .. ? ;-)
>
> > (Thanks a lot Microsoft but I dont really want your latest offering...
> > even if its free.)
>
> It is probably possible, but it will cost you more money.
>
> Because the hard disks are made with MS-Windows pre-burnt.  When they
> put the magnetic paint on the aluminium plates, it's already
> configured to read out as MS-Windows.

<...>

> - Cost of a standard netbook computer:                     USD   0.47
> - Microsoft fee                                            USD   1.00
> - Hire a smarter chinese to implement your special order:  USD   4.00
> - Cost of the work to de-windowize your special computer:  USD   0.20
> - Cost of transport:                                       USD   2.23
> - Profit:                                                  USD 731.48
>   (instead of 67.56 for a standard one)
> - Taxes:                                                   USD 219.44
>   Total:                                                   USD 958.82
>
> While a standard issue netbook would cost USD 325.00, and you'd spent
> no more time to install Linux on it that on a virgin one.
>
> Yes, I know, it's enraging knowing that Microsoft gets its fee on
> every computer, even those not running MS-Windows, but the only
> alternative is to build your own or buy an Apple computer.

Unfortunately I'm not a fashion victim! Havent Apple moved out of the
p.c. hardware industry ? .. apparently theyre making something for
moppin yer eyes wiv these days? :-)

Its a shame about this sticky os in Netbooks as I reckon that without
the Windows OS on you could easily get a Atom Netbook price tag below
£200 in U.K....

Whatever.. Preinstalled Windows has one use... to download Ubuntu
Netbook Remix! ( aint tried the alternatives yet!) Thereafter its
somewhat satisfying to select the option to erase everything on the
hard disc when installing ... :-)

regards
Andy

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon on
kwikius <andy(a)servocomm.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> Whatever.. Preinstalled Windows has one use... to download Ubuntu
> Netbook Remix! ( aint tried the alternatives yet!) Thereafter its
> somewhat satisfying to select the option to erase everything on the
> hard disc when installing ... :-)

Indeed that's a good way to consider MS-Windows, as a unix distribution
downloader and installer.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com