From: Lost Cluster on
How do you write a formula for this:

=NameCheck - Monday

I'm looking for the correct syntax for writing a formula that deletes or
omits names from a list? For example I have a list with the names of all my
employees called NameCheck and another list called Monday. I want the names
in the Monday list to NOT show up on my data validation source that currently
is =NameCheck.
Thanks

From: T. Valko on
You'd have to create a new list and use that as the source for your drop
down.

One way...

Let's assume NameCheck is in column A and Monday is in column B.

Let's create the new list starting in cell D2. So, enter this array
formula** in D2 and copy down until you get #NUM! errors:

=INDEX(NameCheck,SMALL(IF(ISNA(MATCH(NameCheck,Monday,0)),ROW(NameCheck)),ROWS(D$2:D2))-MIN(ROW(NameCheck))+1)

key then hit ENTER.

Then, as the source for the drop down use:

=$D$2:INDEX($D$2:$D$100,COUNTIF($D$2:$D$100,"*"))

Adjust for a reasonable end of range D100

Or, give that formula a defined name like NewList and use =NewList as the
source.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP