From: Salad on
Access Developer wrote:

> Larry Linson

I think I remember that name. It's been so long. There was a guy named
Lyle that was a member of this group as well.
From: Salad on
Reeza wrote:

> On May 14, 1:27 pm, "Lars Brownies" <L...(a)Browniew.com> wrote:
>
>>I forgot to mention there's another field in that table which holds the ID
>>value of the user who's handling this record (this is a request table). I
>>can't call both UserID. So other options would be:
>>EnteredByUserID, and
>>HandlingByUserID
>>
>>I'm keen on getting this right, so I can make a rule of it. Otherwise I keep
>>choosing different solutions every time, like I've done in the past.
>>
>>Lars

>>>I probably would call it UserID. Linking the two tables would be
>>>simple(r) since the two fieldnames match. Then again, I'd consider
>>>whatever works and floats your boat. If you want, you can add a
>>>description of the field in the table. You can always change the label on
>>>a form and report if you ever display them.- Hide quoted text -

> One methodology I've used in business intelligence modelling that
> seems to work is the following:
>
> UserID - Has the User ID and any information about user Ie name, date
> start/end
>
> In the tables/app reference with UserID_FUNCTION where the function is
> the what the User ID does, ie entered, received, sold, shipped
>
> UserID_Shipped
> UserID_Received
> UserID_Sold
> UserID_Entered
>
> Although the joins weren't automatic we always knew how to join things
> then implicitly. You could even write code that would parse the joins
> as well for automating things. With the description following the
> original table name you know immediated that it is a USER ID field.
> You'll probably have multiple dates as well and may call them
> EnteredonDate etc...but this methodology is easy to follow and keeps
> things clean. In my experience at least :P
>
> Same thing for Dates actually
>

> HTH,
> Reeza
>
> PS. Same thing for Dates actually...
> Date_Recieved
> Date_Entered...

Seems like an excellent suggestion
From: Lars Brownies on
> Naming Conventions, which are documented in detail at
> http://www.xoc.net/downloads/rvbanc.pdf. Not only do you save the stress,
> time, and effort of resolving questions such as you ask here, but if you

Thanks. In fact "my" naming convention is based on "Leszynski Naming
Convention", which, at first look, looks quite similar. However, some
questions, like the one from this thread, aren't answered. I looked at the
link you provided, and maybe I've misread but I can't find the answer in
that document as well.

Lars

From: Lars Brownies on
One addition: I think a naming convention should mention reserved words and
why not to use them. I don't see that mentioned in the RNC article.

From: Lars Brownies on
Thanks. Good idea!

Lars

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last