From: Lars Brownies on
I'm still composing my personal naming convention and I have a question
about it.

In my apps I have a table tblUser with the first field: UserID. In a field
in another table this ID number is used to store which user entered the
data. I'm doubting what name I should give to this field. If I only call it
UserID then the field name would not be descriptive enough. So I'm thinking
about EnteredByID but I'm doubting whether I should add the ID part. I know
there is no right answer to this question, but I do wonder what others would
do.

Thanks, Lars

From: Salad on
Lars Brownies wrote:

> I'm still composing my personal naming convention and I have a question
> about it.
>
> In my apps I have a table tblUser with the first field: UserID. In a
> field in another table this ID number is used to store which user
> entered the data. I'm doubting what name I should give to this field. If
> I only call it UserID then the field name would not be descriptive
> enough. So I'm thinking about EnteredByID but I'm doubting whether I
> should add the ID part. I know there is no right answer to this
> question, but I do wonder what others would do.
>
> Thanks, Lars

I probably would call it UserID. Linking the two tables would be
simple(r) since the two fieldnames match. Then again, I'd consider
whatever works and floats your boat. If you want, you can add a
description of the field in the table. You can always change the label
on a form and report if you ever display them.

From: Lars Brownies on
I forgot to mention there's another field in that table which holds the ID
value of the user who's handling this record (this is a request table). I
can't call both UserID. So other options would be:
EnteredByUserID, and
HandlingByUserID

I'm keen on getting this right, so I can make a rule of it. Otherwise I keep
choosing different solutions every time, like I've done in the past.

Lars

From: Reeza on
On May 14, 1:27 pm, "Lars Brownies" <L...(a)Browniew.com> wrote:
> I forgot to mention there's another field in that table which holds the ID
> value of the user who's handling this record (this is a request table). I
> can't call both UserID. So other options would be:
> EnteredByUserID, and
> HandlingByUserID
>
> I'm keen on getting this right, so I can make a rule of it. Otherwise I keep
> choosing different solutions every time, like I've done in the past.
>
> Lars
>
> "Salad" <sa...(a)oilandvinegar.com> schreef in berichtnews:7-SdnUPi7KHYNnDWnZ2dnUVZ_oidnZ2d(a)earthlink.com...
>

> > Lars Brownies wrote:
>
> >> I'm still composing my personal naming convention and I have a question
> >> about it.
>
> >> In my apps I have a table tblUser with the first field: UserID. In a
> >> field in another table this ID number is used to store which user entered
> >> the data. I'm doubting what name I should give to this field. If I only
> >> call it UserID then the field name would not be descriptive enough. So
> >> I'm thinking about EnteredByID but I'm doubting whether I should add the
> >> ID part. I know there is no right answer to this question, but I do
> >> wonder what others would do.
>
> >> Thanks, Lars
>
> > I probably would call it UserID.  Linking the two tables would be
> > simple(r) since the two fieldnames match.  Then again, I'd consider
> > whatever works and floats your boat.  If you want, you can add a
> > description of the field in the table.  You can always change the label on
> > a form and report if you ever display them.- Hide quoted text -

One methodology I've used in business intelligence modelling that
seems to work is the following:

UserID - Has the User ID and any information about user Ie name, date
start/end

In the tables/app reference with UserID_FUNCTION where the function is
the what the User ID does, ie entered, received, sold, shipped

UserID_Shipped
UserID_Received
UserID_Sold
UserID_Entered

Although the joins weren't automatic we always knew how to join things
then implicitly. You could even write code that would parse the joins
as well for automating things. With the description following the
original table name you know immediated that it is a USER ID field.
You'll probably have multiple dates as well and may call them
EnteredonDate etc...but this methodology is easy to follow and keeps
things clean. In my experience at least :P

Same thing for Dates actually

HTH,
Reeza

PS. Same thing for Dates actually...
Date_Recieved
Date_Entered...
From: Access Developer on
Hi, Lars. I strongly recommend AGAINST inventing new personal naming
conventions. A very, very large number of Access developers use the Reddick
Naming Conventions, which are documented in detail at
http://www.xoc.net/downloads/rvbanc.pdf. Not only do you save the stress,
time, and effort of resolving questions such as you ask here, but if you
come along after someone else, or they after you, the probability is higher
that you'll have an easier time because you both use the same conventions.

Some will say that it doesn't matter what convention you use, as long as
you're consistent. That only applies if everyone who looks at your
applications is in your company which has adopted an only-locally-standard
naming convention.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Office Access MVP