From: dorayme on
In article
<7f0ecbb3-a353-40f6-944d-9076fa985e0c(a)h2g2000yqj.googlegroups.com
"Roy A." <royarneskar(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 Feb, 15:01, Gus Richter <gusrich...(a)netscape.net> wrote:

> > > Where's Jukka when you really need him?
>
> It could not be a Finnish saying, it could not be a saying in any
> language.
>
> It doesn't make sense in any language.

It could be a saying in Finnish in spite of not making sense.
Maybe the Fins are like that. It could be a saying in many
languages for similar reasons.

Finally, it does make some sense.

I don't think you can formally derive from it that one should not
judge a book by its cover but maybe it is inappropriate to be too
formal about these things. Formality, after all, is a good
labourer but a lousy master. <g>

--
dorayme
From: jeff on
dorayme wrote:
> In article
> <7f0ecbb3-a353-40f6-944d-9076fa985e0c(a)h2g2000yqj.googlegroups.com
>> ,
> "Roy A." <royarneskar(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> It could not be a Finnish saying, it could not be a saying in any
>> language.
>>
>> It doesn't make sense in any language.
>
> It could be a saying in Finnish in spite of not making sense.
> Maybe the Fins are like that.

There is anecdotal evidence for just that!

Jeff
From: Gus Richter on
On 2/2/2010 1:09 PM, Roy A. wrote:
> On 2 Feb, 15:01, Gus Richter<gusrich...(a)netscape.net> wrote:

>>> Where's Jukka when you really need him?
>
> It could not be a Finnish saying, it could not be a saying in any
> language.
>
> It doesn't make sense in any language.

Roy, I've had problems with your postings but have kept quiet. Some of
it I assumed is a language problem, but now you've attributed a quote to
me which is not so! Learn to properly respond and attribute quotes to
the proper person! @#$%

--
Gus

From: jeff on
Gus Richter wrote:
> On 2/2/2010 1:09 PM, Roy A. wrote:

>> It could not be a Finnish saying, it could not be a saying in any
>> language.
>>
>> It doesn't make sense in any language.
>
> Roy, I've had problems with your postings but have kept quiet. Some of
> it I assumed is a language problem, but now you've attributed a quote to
> me which is not so! Learn to properly respond and attribute quotes to
> the proper person! @#$%

My newsreader shows nothing attributed to you rather than a mis
attribute. It looks to me that although he was responding to you, he had
snipped your entire response.

Is this the issue in question, or have I missed something? Just so I
don't do the same!

Jeff

From: Gus Richter on
On 2/2/2010 7:19 PM, jeff wrote:
> Gus Richter wrote:

>>> It could not be a Finnish saying, it could not be a saying in any
>>> language.
>>>
>>> It doesn't make sense in any language.
>>
>> Roy, I've had problems with your postings but have kept quiet. Some of
>> it I assumed is a language problem, but now you've attributed a quote
>> to me which is not so! Learn to properly respond and attribute quotes
>> to the proper person! @#$%
>
> My newsreader shows nothing attributed to you rather than a mis
> attribute. It looks to me that although he was responding to you, he had
> snipped your entire response.

Look at the thread again carefully. Your, "Where's Jukka when you really
need him?" looks to be said by me (attributed to me). Mis attribute(d)
you say? Yes! By snipping my quote and not removing my name above, he
has mismatched everything starting with me. How can you fail to see that
and not be concerned? BTW, what I said has some meaning even if not
understood by most - google for Finnland tango.

> Is this the issue in question, or have I missed something? Just so I
> don't do the same!

I put my foot in my mouth enough times that I don't need anyone else
doing it for me, thank you very much. Not a big deal for you since you
know who said it. What you're missing is that the last quote/article is
attributed to the first name on top in a threaded response.

The most important thing is that he should have responded 'directly' to
you and not 'through' me.

Just so that you don't do the same!

--
Gus