From: kevincar on

Bill;399559 Wrote:
> In article <473B7396.3070908(a)gmail.com>, not-real(a)gmail.com says...
> > Cal Bubba wrote:
> software?

> > > Bill, he didn't ask about warez or cracks: lighten up.
> > >
> > > Lenny, take your question to one of the freeware newsgroups. Even
> though
> > > your contraption is a printer/all-in-one, scanning issues like this
> are
> > > off-topic here. I understand that there may be one or two free OCR
>
> > > programs out there. How good they are is another question. I've
> found
> > > that in the case of bundled OCR, there can be "gotchas," such as in
> the
> > > case of the Xerox program that came with my Visioneer scanner,
> you've
> > > got to buy the "legit" version if you want it to read normal-sized
>
> > > fonts; the bundled "lite" version only reads large sizes not
> typical of
> > > normal documents: gotcha! It's a good scanner marred by
> contemptuous
> > > "support" (mostly the lack of it after warranty).
> > >
> > > So, if you want good OCR, you'll probably have to pay for it.
> Still,
> > > it's worth trying freeware, if any. Please report back if you find
>
> > > anything since I'm interested myself.
> > >
> > > There is only one Bubba-of-the-West
> > >
> > Gents,
> >
> > Thanks for the response. I already have a couple freeware OCR apps I
>
> > downloaded from www.snapfiles.com. They are not, however, integrated
>
> > with the All-In-One Lexmark software, as is the case with the OCR
> that
> > was provided with the CD that came with the device when I bought it
> new
> > (yeah Bill, chill out and watch who you call a thief, I bought it).
>
> You should have said that in the first place. Then you've already got
>
> the software, right?

> > have misplaced the original Disc in the course of a change of
> residence.
> > Lexmark does not offer this software for download, nor do they offer
> > way to obtain the FREE OCR software that comes with the device.
>
> It wasn't free. It's cost was incorporated into the purchase price of
>
> your Lexmark AIO.
>
> You need to contact Lexmark to replace your cd. Yep, may cost money.
>

> > There is an "OCR" directory on the CD, a zipped copy of that would be
>
> > great if anyone has it.
> >

> Now your asking for somebody else's puchased software again. If the
> EULA on the software says " free to pass on to anybody you want to "
> then no problem. If it say " usable by the original purchaser only ",
> then we get back to that pesky theft word again.
>
> Bill

Hi everyone-
I just ran into this problem myself... Here's the deal;
The OCR software on the Lexmark disk is basically Abbyy FineReader -
prolly version 5 or 6 -- it's *NOT* cheap (about $500 in 2010 dollars)
-- the reason it's not on the Lexmark site is because it's not theirs...
And it is not to be re-distributed... or in other words, it's actually
pretty-much stand-alone TWAIN capable, such that *anyone* could use (not
just buyers of Lexmark printers) could download and use for free.

So basically Bill is right.

My Lexmark 617X CD is LOOONG gone and I need(ed) OCR - so I feel
everyone's pain. GOOD NEWS: Pretty much any Lexmark printer CD (71XX,
81XX) seems to have Abbyy on it, and seems to work with the 61XX, so if
you have one of those disks, you can get by with that -- OR, you can
pony up $500 or so for Abbyy.

But DON'T ask for it publicly -- Bill is right - it is piracy.

KevinC

From: printmaster on

Lenny;399545 Wrote:
> Would someone be kind enough to post the OCR installation software? It
>
> is not available for download it from Lexmark and I am hoping to avoid
>
> paying for it.
>
> Thanks in advance!!!

Hi Lenny,

The Lexmark scan software (OCR) can only be installed using the
installation CD. Not available for download online since it's a big
file. Since you lost your installation cd, I strongly suggest you
contact Lexmark Technical Support for assistance with that. I'm not sure
if they still have stocks for that cd since that's already an old model
but, still, they can better assist you on this concern. I hope I can
assist you more on this.