From: Roland Scheidegger on
FlamingTaco wrote:
> I'm sorry, it's a 1.03 board. I thought you'd know what revision
> since I'd mentioned the 9150AF-08 clockgen.
As I've already told you, some 1.03 (and older) boards could have an old
vrm. You should just look at the chip...

> Yes, no VRM, but my card (upgradeware rev 1.1) does have a voltage
> clamp, I found the specs via digikey...
>
> http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Texas%20Instruments/Web%20data/SN74TVC16222A%20Series.pdf
>
> ..and presumed it's purpose was to bring the voltage down to the
> range needed by the tualatin chips (admittedly, I've poured over the
> board but not the information that came with it ~ for shame).
NO. The clamp is there for some i/o signals (from the top of my head,
some of these are 2.5V with the old spec (for old p2), and 1.8V (or was
that 1.5V?) with the new spec (coppermines/tualatins). It neither
corrects the bus signal voltage (just runs out of spec, no problems),
nor the vcore - and if you really have an old vrm (unlikely), you'd need
to set the slot-t to 1.8V to work at all (not recommended for tualatins).

Roland
From: P2B on

FlamingTaco wrote:

>>.. it would be cheaper and easier to buy a P2B-S 1.04 on eBay than
>
> to buy a used chip and
>
>>install it.
>>
>>If you went the eBay route, you could have it shipped to me to add
>
> the
>
>>4th FSB jumper on it's way to you.
>>

> The question is... how long until a 1.04 shows up? There were 5 last
> night, all were 1.03. I am truly impatient ;)
>
> Board work is no problem for me since Uncle Sam was generous enough to
> train me to on multi-layer board repair. My dis-advantage is a lack of
> experience with home PC mobo's, and no schematics :(
>

>>Slot-T does not have a VRM. You have not posted your board revision
>
> or VRM chip details, so I don't know if you need one. If it's rev
> 1.03 it should have a Tualatin-capable VRM, otherwise not.
>

> I'm sorry, it's a 1.03 board. I thought you'd know what revision since
> I'd mentioned the 9150AF-08 clockgen.

9150AF-08 only tells us it's *not* revision 1.04 D03. I don't know which
revision 1.03 PCBA level introduced the new VRM, you'll have to check
the chip as Roland said.

> Yes, no VRM, but my card (upgradeware rev 1.1) does have a voltage
> clamp, I found the specs via digikey...

The TVC16222A voltage clamp is used to meet the Coppermine/Tualatin CMOS
I/O signal specification of 1.5V vs. 2.5V used by P2 processors. The
Slot-T does nothing to address AGTL voltages (Tualatin 1.25V,
P2/Coppermine 1.5V) or Vcore voltages. AGTL voltages can be adjusted on
the motherboard as described here:

http://tipperlinne.com/p2b-dsvtt.htm

.... but most people don't bother since the discrepancy doesn't appear to
cause problems. Tualatin processors do not last long on 1.8V Vcore
(minimum available from old VRMs).

> http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Texas%20Instruments/Web%20data/SN74TVC16222A%20Series.pdf
>

> ..and presumed it's purpose was to bring the voltage down to the
> range needed by the tualatin chips (admittedly, I've poured over the
> board but not the information that came with it ~ for shame).
>

>>Tualatin processors run nice and cool. The stock HSFs are overkill
>
> at
>
>>stock speeds and perfectly adequate for overclocking since Tualatins
>

>>usually don't respond to Vcore increases. There may be cases where a
>

>>Tualatin overclock is *almost* stable and would benefit from
>
> improved
>
>>cooling, but I have not encountered one.
>>

> Excellent! Now that I've spent many hours browsing o/c sites for hsf's
> and planned for the worst (pocketbook wise), it's good to know that I
> can just slap a small one on there and call it a day. I ordered an
> oem chip with no sink as I've planned to o/c... oh well!
>
> So... The upgradeware rev 1.1 with tualatin 1.3 celeron should be
> plug-and play

Only *if* your board has the new VRM - check the chip!

> (unless the vc on the board has a different use...). I
> need beta bios 1014 from asus, and I need to do a code patch as well.

I can email you the patched BIOS.

P2B

From: FlamingTaco on
Ok, where is the VRM? I see two power fet's close to the slot marked
32N03. Sorry for the short post, got to run.

From: P2B on

FlamingTaco wrote:
> Ok, where is the VRM? I see two power fet's close to the slot marked
> 32N03. Sorry for the short post, got to run.

Between the USB/PS2 connectors and the CPU slot, adjacent to the PWR_FAN
header. I expect either:

HIP6004ACB :-( (not Tualatin capable)
HIP6004BCB :-)
HIP6004CB :-)

P2B
From: FlamingTaco on
Jeez, this is going to be my FIFTH time attempting to get this posted.
Fisrt four three had a screwy keyboard problem, then I made the
mistake of allowing the site to time me out.

I confused the VRM and clockgen. I've got an HIP6004BCB. Core voltage
adjusts to 1.3, correct? What's a good starting voltage for a 1.3
celery?

Any ideas on doing the agtl/agtl+ compromise like you did with the
6019 on your dual?

The slot-t board has fsb adjustment. Does it take over the mobo
control? I'd like to get the 112 the mobo allows if I cannot modify
the board for the faster clock rates.

All the celery tualatin images I see online show the chip with no heat
speader. Did they have a production change at some point?

I need to know the thread pitch and size for the cpu retention
mechnism studs in the asus boards. I did not get one originally, but
need to add it.

I ordered the AMP universal SEC/SECC/SECC2 retainers. They do not fit
the slot-t card! What gives there? The card looks like it fit's
intel's SECC only mechanism:

http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-017374.htm

but these are supposed to fit the SECC, too. Here they are:

http://www.pccables.com/07054.htm

Am I supposed to remove the top-half of the connector and let the
pressure from the "sprung" piece in the side hold it in?
Upradeware's card won't slide all the way to the board with these,
either, unless I modify (the base fits snugly around the end of the
board connector).

What craziness. Almost there... gotta go order that heatsink now.