From: P2B on

FlamingTaco wrote:

> Jeez, this is going to be my FIFTH time attempting to get this posted.
> Fisrt four three had a screwy keyboard problem, then I made the
> mistake of allowing the site to time me out.
>
> I confused the VRM and clockgen. I've got an HIP6004BCB. Core voltage
> adjusts to 1.3, correct?

Correct

> What's a good starting voltage for a 1.3 celery?

1.5v - as per the Slot-T instructions. Tualatin processors usually don't
overclock any better as a result of Vcore increases, so I usually test
the system to ensure stability at default voltage, then try lowering
Vcore. Most Tualatins run perfectly on 1.4v, some as low as 1.35v.

> Any ideas on doing the agtl/agtl+ compromise like you did with the
> 6019 on your dual?

I have not done this on a P2B-S, so I don't know which resistor needs to
be changed - but it should be fairly easy to figure out by probing the
board with a DMM while referring to the application circuit in the VRM
datasheet. The formulas for calculating resistor values are also in the
datasheet:

http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn4567.pdf

> The slot-t board has fsb adjustment. Does it take over the mobo
> control? I'd like to get the 112 the mobo allows if I cannot modify
> the board for the faster clock rates.

The FSB jumpers on the Slot-T are for overriding the CPU's FSB request.
These jumpers have no effect on P2B-series boards because they ignore
the CPU and use only the FSB jumpers on the motherboard.

> All the celery tualatin images I see online show the chip with no heat
> speader. Did they have a production change at some point?

Example? I've never seen a Tualatin processor without a heat spreader,
unless it's been removed.

> I need to know the thread pitch and size for the cpu retention
> mechnism studs in the asus boards. I did not get one originally, but
> need to add it.

Can't help there.

> I ordered the AMP universal SEC/SECC/SECC2 retainers. They do not fit
> the slot-t card! What gives there? The card looks like it fit's
> intel's SECC only mechanism:
>
> http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-017374.htm
>
> but these are supposed to fit the SECC, too. Here they are:
>
> http://www.pccables.com/07054.htm
>
> Am I supposed to remove the top-half of the connector and let the
> pressure from the "sprung" piece in the side hold it in?
> Upradeware's card won't slide all the way to the board with these,
> either, unless I modify (the base fits snugly around the end of the
> board connector).

I've had problems with so-called Universal Retention Mechanisms too. I
find that non-folding types usually work better with the Slot-T, and the
older one-piece types that wrap around the entire CPU slot are even better.

> What craziness. Almost there... gotta go order that heatsink now.

Getting close.... :-)

P2B
From: FlamingTaco on
On a whim, I decided to pull out the box the P2B-S came in to see if
it had any nuts for the board. The box was empty, but while I was
there, I went through some other small boxes looking for the bag of
extra screws that came with the tower. In one box, I found a complete
Asus P2B cpu adaptor kit. Holy smokes. I thought I had not received
them with the board. I guess I missed it in my rush to assemble my
new PC in '98. I was very close to bidding on one of the two correct
adaptors on eBay today. How cool is that.

Anyone need some "universal" connectors?

From: FlamingTaco on
I'm following your plans for adding a thermister to the heatspreader -
just placed an order with digikey. However, I'm thinking about
drilling a small hole right in the center of the heatsink, allowing
me to place the thermister in the sink over the center of the core
(drilled from the top) for a more accurate reading of the temp of the
core heat spreader. Do you think there might be any issues with this?
Also, any recommendations for a compound that would be well-suited
for sealing in the thermister, would conduct heat well, but not
electricity?

From: Daniel Mandic on
P2B wrote:

> Yeah, upgrading older P2B-series boards would be a lot simpler if the
> 9150-08 133Mhz setting actually worked, instead of producing an ugly
> signal the BX interprets as 109Mhz.

Hi P2B!

It should work quite well with most of the PCI-Cards. 36 and a third
MHz. My most sensitive PCI Card (AHA 2940) ran at 37,5MHz (ASUS T2P4,
P54C200). Over that, it did?nt found any SCSI devices ...

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic
From: FlamingTaco on
Heatsink is in. Pretty hefty thing.

Has anyone here checked how much they can overclock with serious
cooling? I've got two 70? peltiers that have sat in a drawer for
nearly two years now that I've yet to try out.

Thanks,
David