From: Afrosheen via AccessMonster.com on
I have two fields. [desc] for description of an item, and [assignedto1] which
is the person the item is assigned to. What I want to do is to separate the
two.

The code that's displayed works ok.
80 strWhere = "[desc] like""" & txtSearch & _
""" and [assignedto1]=""" & Str & """"
90 Filter = strWhere
100 FilterOn = True

The thing is that the second part of the code on line 80 I may or may not
need.

For example: The code field [desc] may equal to hold the txtSearch or "Book*"
and the [assignedto1] holds the name of the person that uses the item. Like I
said, it works ok.

What I'd like to do is if I enter the [desc] like book* and there is no
[assignedo1] information then skip the rest of the code. Is there a way of
doing this? I know using this code:

strWhere = "[desc] Like '" & Me!txtSearch & "'" will do the single search or
filter.

So I guess I want to do one or the other through code.

Thank you for your help again. It's really appreciated.

From: PieterLinden via AccessMonster.com on
Afrosheen wrote:
>I have two fields. [desc] for description of an item, and [assignedto1] which
>is the person the item is assigned to. What I want to do is to separate the
>two.
>
>The code that's displayed works ok.
>80 strWhere = "[desc] like""" & txtSearch & _
> """ and [assignedto1]=""" & Str & """"
>90 Filter = strWhere
>100 FilterOn = True
>
>The thing is that the second part of the code on line 80 I may or may not
>need.
>
>For example: The code field [desc] may equal to hold the txtSearch or "Book*"
>and the [assignedto1] holds the name of the person that uses the item. Like I
>said, it works ok.
>
>What I'd like to do is if I enter the [desc] like book* and there is no
>[assignedo1] information then skip the rest of the code. Is there a way of
>doing this? I know using this code:
>
>strWhere = "[desc] Like '" & Me!txtSearch & "'" will do the single search or
>filter.
>
>So I guess I want to do one or the other through code.
>
>Thank you for your help again. It's really appreciated.

>What I'd like to do is if I enter the [desc] like book* and there is no
>[assignedo1] information then skip the rest of the code. Is there a way of
>doing this?

You must be standing too close to see it... take a couple of steps back.
' build mandatory/always clause here...
strWhere = ....

'then add optional part based on what's chosen in the textbox...
If Not IsNull(Me![AssignedTo])
strWhere = strWhere & " AND [assignedTo1]=' " & me.cboAssignedTo &" ' "
End If

From: Afrosheen via AccessMonster.com on
Thanks for getting back to me. I'll try it out on Monday. I'm on vacation for
the next couple of days.