From: Jack on
Yes, I am using IE8

From: gnu / linux on
On Feb 23, 11:33 am, jplasa...(a)NOSPAMjuno.com (Jack) wrote:
> Yes, I am using IE8
>
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:26:40 +1100, "Neil Green"
>

> <nrgreen...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> >Jack wrote:
> >> I have an old Compaq Presario 5000 that is running on XP.   It has an
> >> Intel Celeron Processor that is 1.1 GHZ and  I have increased the
> >> memory to its max which is 512 Mb of SDRAM.   I have defragged and run
> >> Ad-Aware.  I run C Cleaner often.  When I run Task Scheduler, I often
> >> find that the memory is loaded.   I frequently find 2-3 versions of
> >> iexplore.exe.  Skype takes some space but I have to leave it in memory
> >> so I can receive calls from my daughter overseas.
>
> >> Are there any suggestions of how I can get it to run faster and more
> >> efficient?  Thanks for any help
>
> >Are you running IE8?

SpeedyPC http://www.speedypc.com/lps/speedypc/index.htm

may show the bottleneck(s) OR use linux :)
From: Neil Green on
Jack wrote:
> Yes, I am using IE8

The tabbed browsing and crash recovery features of IE8 use considerable
resources, particularly on an older PC with limited RAM.
I suggest you run an earlier version of IE.

From: Jack on
Thanks for the insight, Neil. Do you know why I find 2-3 iexplore.exe
in the list of processes that are running in Task Manager? They each
take a large amount of space.

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:34:24 +1100, "Neil Green"

From: Neil Green on
Jack wrote:
> Thanks for the insight, Neil. Do you know why I find 2-3 iexplore.exe
> in the list of processes that are running in Task Manager? They each
> take a large amount of space.

The most likely cause is a trojan, worm or other Malware.
Do a thorough scan of your PC.