From: Todd on
On 06/29/2010 10:53 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> Anyway, try and find a small outfit in your area with that kind of
> reputation.

You just recommended, well, me. Thank you.

Downside. I am about $200.00 more expensive and
I take three to four weeks.

-T
From: Keith Keller on
On 2010-06-29, Todd <todd(a)invalid.com> wrote:

> I make custom computer. And they are really, really
> well done. Two draw backs to the customer. I am
> about $200 more expensive, as I *will not* use garbage.
> And I have to build them between customers calls,
> which means three to four weeks lead time after I
> get a check.
>
> So if they want them cheap and fast, ...

"Cheap, fast, or good: pick any two."

You might need to become either cheaper or faster. ;-)

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

From: Stan Bischof on
Lenovo _business class_ machines are very solid these days.
For that matter Dell's _business class_ machines are also
quite solid. consumer grade el cheapo machines are
not going to be the best quality from any vendor.

Stan
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Todd wrote:
> On 06/29/2010 10:53 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> Anyway, try and find a small outfit in your area with that kind of
>> reputation.
>
> You just recommended, well, me. Thank you.
>
> Downside. I am about $200.00 more expensive and
> I take three to four weeks.

Well have a couple pre built and ready to rock.

My man has a workforce of about ten in total, and a largish stock of parts.

Takes about 4 hours to put one together.

From: SINNER on
* Todd wrote in comp.os.linux.misc:

> When a customer wants an instant replacement coomputer,
> I will usually help them configure out a Dell. Problem:
> Dell's quality has gone to hell lately. I am batting
> three with problem out of ten. Yesterday was a brand new
> Optiplex with a bad hard drive (and after 3 hours of custom
> software configuration).

[...]

Interesting timing for your post

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/technology/29dell.html