From: Todd on
On 06/29/2010 12:42 PM, Stan Bischof wrote:
> Lenovo _business class_ machines are very solid these days.
> For that matter Dell's _business class_ machines are also
> quite solid. consumer grade el cheapo machines are
> not going to be the best quality from any vendor.
>
> Stan

Have had boatload of problem with Levovo's Think Pad
(T series) laptops. And, 3 pains out of 10 on Dell's
_business class_ Optiplex.

I will not recommend *any* home computer.

-T
From: Stan Bischof on
Todd <todd(a)invalid.com> wrote:
> On 06/29/2010 12:42 PM, Stan Bischof wrote:
>> Lenovo _business class_ machines are very solid these days.
>> For that matter Dell's _business class_ machines are also
>> quite solid. consumer grade el cheapo machines are
>> not going to be the best quality from any vendor.
>>
>> Stan
>

> Have had boatload of problem with Levovo's Think Pad
> (T series) laptops. And, 3 pains out of 10 on Dell's
> _business class_ Optiplex.

Have used the Lenovo M-class desktops with great success.
Also the Dell Precision have been very good here.

I don't know of _any_ laptops though from anyone that
I'm all that thrilled with. And of course that's tough
since building your own laptop is much more challenging.

Stan
From: mjt on
On 29 Jun 2010 21:54:39 GMT
Stan Bischof <stan(a)newserve.worldbadminton.com> wrote:

> I don't know of _any_ laptops though from anyone that
> I'm all that thrilled with. And of course that's tough
> since building your own laptop is much more challenging.

If you want MIL-spec grade laptops, General Dynamics
makes some pretty tough machines:
http://www.gd-itronix.com/index.cfm?page=Products:GD8000
Click on the Specs tab.

--
George Orwell 1984. Northwestern 0.
-- Chicago Reader 10/15/82

From: mjt on

[snipped]

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/diy-laptop-whitebook,review-1286.html

http://computershopper.com/feature/build-your-own-laptop

--
It is always preferable to visit home with a friend. Your
parents will not be pleased with this plan, because they want

From: David Brown on
On 29/06/2010 21:42, Stan Bischof wrote:
> Lenovo _business class_ machines are very solid these days.
> For that matter Dell's _business class_ machines are also
> quite solid. consumer grade el cheapo machines are
> not going to be the best quality from any vendor.
>
> Stan

I've bought a couple of Lenovo server machines, and they were very well
constructed.

We've also had a number of business-class desktops from them, and they
have also been solid. The only problem I had with them was the default
windows installation was full of trial and time-limited junk that had to
be uninstalled. They were also a pain for installing XP from scratch -
no network drivers until you download the network drivers, etc. But
once that was in place, they have run faultlessly so far.

I've also been very happy with Dell's business machines (servers,
desktops and laptops), and their service here in Europe.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: any opinions on wireless bridges?
Next: Melaza de Shisha