From: "Dave "Mod Bod" Modisette" on
I've got a request from my Pastor to do some stylized Christmas carols
for our Christmas Eve service. If I have an example for my guys to hear,
we can save a lot of time at rehearsal trying to discover a "feel" for
the tune and not stepping all over each other.

I'm looking for a Funk Gospel version of "Angels We Have Heard on High"
and a Josh Groban style version of "Silent Night." I don't think the
Silent Night version will be hard to do. Maybe Groban's already got a
version out there that I can find.

If anyone could turn me on to the "Angels" funk version that would be a
real blessing. Maybe even slip me an MP3 or a piece of an MP3 so that I
can get my guys all heading in the same direction.

--
Dave "Mod Bod" Modisette

http://www.gatortraks.com/forum
http://www.gatortraks.com
From: "Dave "Mod Bod" Modisette" on
Glennbo wrote:
> In news:4b283638$0$4846$9a6e19ea(a)unlimited.newshosting.com the killer robot
> "Dave \"Mod Bod\" Modisette" <dmodisette(a)gatortraks.com> grabbed the
> controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>> I'm looking for a Funk Gospel version of "Angels We Have Heard on High"
>> and a Josh Groban style version of "Silent Night." I don't think the
>> Silent Night version will be hard to do. Maybe Groban's already got a
>> version out there that I can find.
>
> I don't really know where either of those might be found, but my wife has
> played a really cool and jazzy version of Silent Night. Might be the dood
> you mentioned. It's got those kind of chords that have a lot of close
> harmonies, and sound really big and full.

I found a streaming version of Josh Groban's "Silent Night", my
keyboardist should be able to listen to that and run with it. I'm not
looking to do a record copy of it but just capture the style of the
arrangement.

I'm having a heck of a time with "Angels". We've got a lady who should
be able to do a good Black gospel funk rendition of that if I can give
her a good rhythm section to work off of. This lady's a Colonel in the
Army stationed here at MacDill. She's tough. Probably associated with
CENCOM. I want to give her something really good.

From: Sue Morton on
Third Day has my fav contemporary version of "Angels". But maybe you can
find something
here?
http://christianmusic.about.com/od/christmas/tp/tpangelswehaveheard.htm
--
Sue Morton

From: Sue Morton on
Thanks Russ!!! <blush> I'm really tickled that you not only liked that song
but remembered it! That was indeed a few years ago. And a crappy recording
to boot, being that it was a practice recording for my Community Choir
members... :-) Maybe next time I'm in the LA area Ted might be persuaded to
give me some pointers on doing a better job... but I'm probably beyond even
his skill set...! LOL LOL LOL Ah well, I accept that.

So... "Somethin's Goin' On in Bethlehem" has been requested for repeat
performance more than once. So that tells me it has 'touched' more than a
few people :-) This is the whole idea of course!

But my #1 requested repeat song is "2000 Decembers Ago". Even non-Christian
folk have really identified with that one. Which is amazing to me because
that song it is all about Christianity! Joy Williams recorded it for
Providence Records before her voice wa 'ruined' (IMO), it's a real beauty
but I've never heard a Gospel version of it done. Maybe now's the time?

Dave, it's not "Angels" -- but there is a song titled "Mary Had a Baby" that
is pure and awesome gospel -- for soloist and choir backing is the version
we have at my church. That one is one of my FAV gospel numbers we perform
every few years during the Christmas season... See if you can find it? I
just heard a version of it on KLOVE the other day, I don't know who
performed it though, but it was really good.
--
Sue Morton

From: "Dave "Mod Bod" Modisette" on
Rick Paul wrote:
> For the funk "Angels..." here are a few turned up with a search on the song
> title on Lala. There are probably more:
>
> http://lala.com/zJYK (Celebrity Voices Choir under the direction of E. Dawk)
> http://lala.com/zJYK (Aretha Franklin - not super funky instrumental, though
> its being Aretha gives it that sort of thing vocally)
> http://lala.com/zEFs (Mandisa - more like light hip-hop, but might work for
> the kind of voice you described elsewhere in the thread)
> http://lala.com/zjRJ (Big Daddy Weave - feel of the verses might work,
> chorus is more rock)
> http://lala.com/zj4l (Steve Lukather - instrumental guitar, but the feel of
> the backing tracks might work here)
>
> Good luck.
>
> Rick

I think the Steve Lukather "feel" is the direction I want to take it.
Thanks everyone for helping. I listened to all of them and this one
will likely work the best for us.